A Long Island resident was tragically killed after he was hit by a FedEx tractor trailer on Tuesday, May 4, 2021. The incident, which occurred at around 11:30 pm in Ronkonkoma, involved two separate collisions. 29-year-old Neville Stephan was driving a 2018 Honda sedan along the Long Island Expressway when he crashed into a 2017 Nissan sedan, driven by 19-year-old Xavier Rodriguez. Both drivers had been attempting to turn onto Exit 60.
In the aftermath of the collision, both Stephan and Rodriguez got out of their vehicles and determined that neither was hurt. It was then that Stephan got back into his car when an eastbound FedEx truck struck him, horrifyingly causing him to be ejected from the vehicle. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The appalling incident highlights how important it is to practice caution in driving – this is especially important for those operating larger vehicles. Our thoughts and deepest sympathies go out to the victim’s loved ones.
FedEx trucks fall under the category of commercial vehicles, which are subject to extra regulations under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Because commercial vehicles are larger and more dangerous on the road than normal cars, they can cause more damage to pedestrians, cyclists, and other motorists in the event of a serious collision. These additional regulations that the FMCSA requires include limiting the number of consecutive hours commercial vehicle drivers can be on the road, requiring that vehicles be well-maintained at all times, conducting employee background checks, training drivers so that they are equipped to operate large vehicles, and maintaining proper weight limits for the cargo these vehicles carry.
The Law firm of Block O’Toole & Murphy has long advocated for victims in serious motor vehicle collisions, including those involving commercial vehicles. For over 30 years, our firm has stood by victims whose lives have been devastated in serious accidents and survivors who grieve the loss of loved ones that died in preventative tragedies.
Select commercial vehicle accident cases that we resolved include:
- $14,000,000 jury verdict in a Nassau County case for a motorcyclist who suffered serious injuries requiring a below-the-knee amputation after he was hit by a truck
- $13,500,000 settlement for a 24-year-old who was hit by a car while she was walking home at night. She sustained major injuries, including a traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures. This result is the largest reported personal injury settlement in Suffolk County.
- $9,950,000 settlement for a social worker who was hit by a commercial van in a parking lot while she was loading groceries into her car. As a result of the collision, she suffered a traumatic above-the-knee amputation.
- $9,263,326 jury verdict in Brooklyn case for a 52-year-old passenger who was involved in a three-vehicle collision. He sustained serious injuries to his spine, which required surgery.
- $8,800,000 settlement for a 53-year-old woman who walking to pick up her grandchildren from school when she was suddenly struck by a van that jumped the sidewalk
- $7,525,000 settlement in a wrongful death case after a mother and her son were fatally struck by a commercial van on County Road 111 in Suffolk County
Our auto accident lawyers offer free legal consultations to injury victims in New York and New Jersey. If you’ve suffered as a result of a commercial vehicle or any other type of accident, it’s important to understand your legal rights. Call 212-736-5300 or fill out our Contact Form to speak with an attorney today.