New York Catastrophic Injury Attorneys
An unexpected accident can completely alter the course of a victim’s and their loved ones’ lives, leaving them with tremendous stress and questions about what lies ahead. The resulting injuries can be extremely painful, crippling, and potentially life-threatening. Oftentimes, catastrophic injuries come with long-term complications that require a lifetime of costly medical attention. Victims should be fully informed of their options going forward.
Those who have sustained a catastrophic injury due to the negligent actions of a separate party have a legal right to receive compensation for the losses they suffer. Although the legal process may seem daunting, a well experienced lawyer can guide catastrophic accident victims through serious injury claims. If you or a loved one has been a victim in a serious accident, consulting with a qualified personal injury lawyer is a crucial step to obtaining compensation and moving on from your accident.
At Block O’Toole & Murphy, our lawyers have dedicated their careers to fighting for injury victims and have built years of experience handling accident claims. Since 2012, no other law firm in New York has reported more verdicts and settlements that exceed $1,000,000 than Block O’Toole & Murphy. We are here to help you and your loved ones recover the financial compensation you deserve.
In 2018, Block O’Toole & Murphy attained 4 of the 10 Highest Settlements in all of New York State for personal injury victims. To speak with a qualified attorney, please call 212-736-5300 for a FREE confidential consultation.
Our firm has recovered over $1 billion for our clients, including a $110 million verdict for a cyclist who was paralyzed when a railroad tie fell from overhead tracks during subway maintenance in Brooklyn.
What is a Catastrophic Injury?
Generally, when an injury is referred to as “catastrophic,” it means that the injury sustained by the victim is permanently life-altering. A catastrophic injury victim is usually unable to return to a quality of life similar to what they experienced prior to their injury. The consequences of catastrophic injuries can leave victims with damages including:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Loss of quality of life
- Emotionally damage
If the injury occurred as a result of an accident that was caused by the negligent actions of another party, it may be in the accident victim’s best interest to pursue legal action to receive compensation for these damages.
Types of Serious Injuries
Catastrophic injuries range from severe burns to serious neurological disorders. These injuries often involve the disruption of the brain and central nervous system, which in turn affects many other areas of the body. Victims with serious injuries may require long-term medical care, extensive rehabilitation and daily assistance to perform even the simplest tasks.
Serious injuries include but are not limited to:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that every year, at least 1.7 million Traumatic Brain Injuries occur in the United States. Head and brain injuries commonly result from motor vehicle accidents and are the cause of thousands of deaths each year. For those that survive a traumatic brain injury, most will develop long-term physical, cognitive, behavioral, and social problems.
- Paralysis and Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury is typically caused by a sudden impact to the spine which dislocates or fractures the vertebrae. Most spinal cord injuries, about 37 percent, according to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NIH), are sustained in auto accidents but they can also result from instances such as falls or construction accidents. A spinal cord injury, such as quadriplegia or paraplegia, can render a victim immobile or unable to perform even the most basic tasks.
- Back Injuries
Often the result of workplace accidents or motor vehicle crashes, back injuries most commonly develop in the lower back, according to NIH. Common back injuries include strains, sprains, fractured vertebrae and herniated discs. Back injuries can cause pain and limit the patient’s movement. They are commonly treated with pain relievers, icing, physical therapy, and surgical procedures.
- Traumatic Amputations
A traumatic amputation is the loss of a body part, such as an arm, finger, or leg, that occurs in an accident. Traumatic amputations usually occur as a result of car crashes, product malfunction, or work accidents, particularly in the construction industry. Frequently, amputations occur as a result of limbs being crushed, burned, or exposed to harsh chemicals. The most common type of traumatic amputation is partial hand amputation, which involves losing one or more fingers, according to Industrial Safety & Hygiene News. Since amputations are permanent, the accident victim will continue to live with the physical and psychological limitations caused by the injury for the rest of their life.
- Crush Injuries
Crush injuries often have long-term effects such as nerve damage, amputation, multiple fractures, and other severe injuries. A crush injury can also result in crush syndrome, which is a medical condition characterized by kidney failure and major shock.
- Internal Organ Damage
Organs are vital in ensuring regular and healthy body functions. As such, organ damage can lead to serious complications. Since the injuries are internal, organ damage may not be immediately noticeable. Victims suffering injures to their kidneys, spleen, bowels, lungs, liver, pancreas, and other organs may likely need surgical attention or organ transplants if their organs are beyond repair.
Other types of personal injuries that can have devastating effects on a victim include internal bleeding, fractures, burn injuries, blindness, loss of fetus, and nerve damage.
Effects of Catastrophic Injuries
A catastrophic injury can impact a variety of body systems including the circulatory, skin, urinary, respiratory and nervous systems. Managing the effects of a catastrophic injury can be costly and often requires a team of experienced health care professionals including doctors, therapists, nurses, counselors and surgeons. While some injury victims may recover with immediate medical care, others may face permanent disability, reduced life expectancies and life-long pain.
Often, the long-term complications associated with catastrophic injuries do not surface until years after the original accident. For instance, injured children may experience problems as they grow, necessitating surgeries or other medical procedures to accommodate their growth. Likewise, a burn injury victim may need continual reconstructive surgeries for several years after their original accident.
NYC Serious Injury Attorneys with a Sterling Track Record
An experienced personal injury lawyer who understands the long-term effects of a catastrophic injury will be better equipped to ensure their clients receive the compensation they need to undergo necessary medical procedures while remaining financially afloat.
Block O’Toole & Murphy has attained over 300 case results exceeding $1,000,000 each. Notable verdicts and settlements include*:
- $110,174,972 Jury Verdict for a cyclist who suffered severe injuries, including paralysis, after he was struck by a beam that fell from the subway tracks above in Bushwick, Brooklyn
- $32,756,156 Jury Verdict in Long Island case for Vietnam veteran who sustained severe brain damage and hip fractures after he was struck by a car
- $22,500,000 Settlement for driver who had to undergo 26 surgeries after his car was involved in a head-on collision in Westchester County
- $15,000,000 Settlement for the surviving family of a 38-year-old worker who died from asphyxia after he was crushed by a falling object on the job
- $14,000,000 Settlement in Nassau County case for 23-year-old motorcyclist who had to sustain a below-the-knee amputation after he was struck by a truck
- $13,500,000 Settlement for a pedestrian who suffered blunt force trauma to the head, body, and limbs after a car struck her in Suffolk County. She sustained multiple fractures and a traumatic brain injury.
- $12,000,000 Settlement for Manhattan worker who fell approximately 40 feet on the job and suffered severe neurologic and orthopedic injuries. He was rendered completely blind in one eye.
- $12,000,000 Recovery for Brooklyn pedestrian accident victim who suffered multiple fractures and organ injuries, including a lacerated liver.
- $11,500,000 Settlement in a Bronx case for a worker who suffered severe wrist injuries, including CRPS in his hand and wrist after an on-the-job accident
- $10,875,000 Settlement for a union laborer who fell and was impaled on a steel bar in Brooklyn, New York. As a result, he suffered serious internal injuries which required multiple surgeries.
- $9,950,000 Settlement for a social worker who had to sustain an above-the-knee amputation of her left leg after she was struck by a van in Buffalo, New York
- $9,792,412 Jury Verdict in Supreme Bronx case for a medical malpractice victim who suffered a stroke while undergoing brain surgery. As a result, he sustained partial left foot paralysis and left arm paralysis.
- $9,263,326 Jury Verdict for taxi cab passenger with spinal injuries, including radiculopathy and lumbar nerve damage after he was involved in a 3-car collision
- $9,000,000 settlement in a Nassau County case for a 14-year-old minor who suffered arm injuries that required multiple surgeries after a wall collapsed on him
- $8,800,000 Settlement for a pedestrian who suffered a traumatic brain injury, nerve damage, and broken ribs after she was struck by a vehicle in Ozone Park, Queens
To learn more about our recoveries in personal injury cases, please visit our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Put Our Proven Team on Your Side
If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury, we can determine whether you are eligible to recover financial compensation for medical bills and other damages. Simply fill out our FREE case review form and we will evaluate your claim, at no cost to you.
Serving Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, New Rochelle, Yonkers, Syracuse, Long Island, and all New York State.
Se habla español | Мы Говорим по-Русски | Mowimy po Polsku
*Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.