COVID-19 Notice: Block O’Toole & Murphy has returned to full, in-person operation in accordance with safety regulations put forward by New York State and CDC health officials. Our attorneys continue to provide quality legal representation and are available to discuss your case in person, over the phone, email, or video. Read more from our partners.

Close Menu  X

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Construction & Work Injuries
  4.  » Construction accident lawsuits plague NYC residential tower

Construction accident lawsuits plague NYC residential tower

One of the biggest construction projects in New York City history, One57, has become the subject of at least 19 lawsuits. Although it is not known whether this is a record number, one construction litigation attorney said that that number of cases was unusual.

One57 is the tallest residential building in New York, coming in at 75 stories. Ground-breaking was almost four years ago, and completion is still months away. Apartments in the building have cost as much as $90 million.

The project made headlines during Hurricane Sandy when a crane buckled and left the arm dangling.

According to the New York Post, the lawsuits include 10 claims of job-related injury, at least one wrongful death, and a non-payment claim from the electrical contractor on the project. At least 15 of the cases are pending in Manhattan Supreme Court.

One individual, who lives adjacent to the worksite, has filed two lawsuits against the contractor, Extell. He has had to vacate his apartment twice, once when the crane collapsed and again a few months ago when a fire broke out. The plaintiff alleged that the fire was the result of the contractor’s failing to adhere to standard and safe construction practices.

There have been at least four lawsuits related to Hurricane Sandy.

The contractor has said that the large number of lawsuits was only a consequence of the enormous size of the project and the long duration of the project.

The wrongful death lawsuit resulted from the death of an electrician who was killed by a falling object at the site in January 2012.