The Help You Need After an Auto Accident
New York Motor Vehicle Collision Lawyers on Your Side
At the law firm of Block O’Toole & Murphy, our premier New York motor vehicle accident attorneys are well-known for representing injured individuals and the families of wrongful death victims. We have extensive experience with cases involving:
- Car crashes: From whiplash and back injuries to traumatic brain injury and the loss of limbs, auto accident injuries resulting from another party’s negligent or distracted driving can be seriously and permanently debilitating.
- Truck collisions : Trucking company negligence or truck driver negligence can result in devastating collisions. We have an established record helping juries understand how a truck accident can significantly affect a person’s life.
- Bus accidents: Our law firm handles injury cases involving 15-passenger vans, school buses, tour buses, MTA buses, and other vehicles.
- Pedestrian accidents: Our attorneys have one of the best records in pedestrian accident lawsuits in New York, including a record-breaking $32.7 million jury verdict for a pedestrian hit by a car.
- Public transportation accidents: When a resident or tourist is injured in a New York subway, bus, cab or train accident, he or she may be able to recover compensation for damages from the transportation authority responsible for the accident.
- Uber/Lyft accidents: Rideshare apps like Uber and Lyft have been growing in popularity in recent years. New York state insurance law protects injured passengers, drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists harmed in rideshare app accidents.
- Cyclist injuries: The majority of bicycle accidents occur when a cyclist collides with a motor vehicle. Our attorneys litigated multiple bicycle injury lawsuits and are here to fight for you.
- Motorcycle collisions: Our attorneys are dedicated to protecting the rights of motorcyclists who have been injured. We achieved a $14 million verdict for a badly injured biker in Nassau County who was accused of riding negligently.
- Commercial vehicle crashes: We provide skilled representation for individuals injured by taxis, courier vehicles, delivery trucks and other commercial vehicles. In 2017, we recovered a $13.5 million settlement for a woman hit by a company-owned car.
- Garbage truck accidents: We represent individuals injured in collisions with sanitation trucks as well as garbage truck operators and workers crushed or killed by the vehicles’ powerful equipment.
The Law Firm of Block O’Toole & Murphy recovered over 100 auto injury cases exceeding $1,000,000 each for our clients. In 2016 alone, we attained 6 of the 10 highest motor vehicle settlements in New York. To discuss a possible case with a lawyer, call us at 212-736-5300 or complete our online form to schedule a FREE legal consultation.
Motor Vehicle Crashes Affect Thousands in New York City
Unfortunately, motor vehicle collisions devastate the lives of thousands of New Yorkers every year. In 2017 alone, 154 died and over 40,000 were injured as a result of crashes in New York City, according to NYPD data. These include pedestrians and bicyclists hit by vehicles in bike lanes and intersections around the city. According to the latest New York State motor vehicle statistics, of the 240,442 crashes where contributing factors were recorded in 2014, an overwhelming 83% of crashes can be attributed to human error.
Some of the most common behaviors that lead to traffic accidents include:
- Driver Inattention/Distraction
- Failure to Yield Right of Way
- Following too Closely
- Unsafe Speed
- Passing or Lane Usage Improper
- Backing Unsafely
- Alcohol Involvement
- Unsafe Lane Changing
- Turning Improperly
- Traffic Control Disregarded (e.g. running red lights or stop signs)
Other non-human contributing factors include auto defects, ice on roadways, obstructed traffic signals and more. There are laws, including the Vehicle and Traffic (VAT) laws in New York State, which offer legal protection to pedestrians, cyclists, passengers, drivers, and others harmed in auto collisions caused by another party’s negligence. If you’ve been hurt in a motor vehicle accident, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the party responsible for your injuries. To discuss your case with an attorney well-versed in traffic laws in New York, please call 212-736-5300.
Top Results in Motor Vehicle Collision Cases
Our lawyers have obtained significant verdicts and settlements* for clients who were injured in all types of traffic accidents. A few examples are listed here:
- $32,756,156 jury verdict in a Long Island case for a pedestrian hit by a drug-impaired driver
- $22,500,000 settlement in a Westchester County case for a driver hurt in a head-on collision
- $20,181,484 verdict awarded to a victim harmed as a result of icy roads
- $14,000,000 settlement for a 23-year-old man hit by a truck while he was riding a motorcycle
- $13,500,000 settlement for a pedestrian who was hit by a car in Suffolk County
To read more about our results in auto accident cases, please visit our Motor Vehicle Verdicts & Settlements section of the website.
Contact an Attorney Today
If you have been injured in a collision, schedule a FREE consultation with the experienced attorneys at the law firm of Block O’Toole & Murphy. Call us at 212-736-5300. We serve New York City, Buffalo, Syracuse, Yonkers, Rochester, Albany, and all New York State.
Se habla español | Мы Говорим по-Русски | Mowimy po Polsku
*Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.