Multiple people were injured when a Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE) bus and an SUV collided in West Hempstead on Monday, July 9th.
The accident occurred on Woodfield Road near Oakford Street, causing the SUV to roll onto its side, trapping the injured occupants inside the vehicle and requiring them to be rescued by emergency personnel. The NICE bus involved in the collision ended up on a nearby lawn, injuring multiple passengers.
Too many New Yorkers are seriously injured in motor vehicle accidents which should be preventable. From 2012-2014, there was an average of 1,098 fatalities and 12,093 hospitalizations per year due to traffic accidents in New York, according to data released by the State.
Rollover accidents can be particularly traumatic and dangerous due to the potential for passengers to suffer crush injuries. While there are many factors which can cause a rollover accident, such as a side-impact collision, SUV’s and trucks are especially prone to them due to their high center of gravity.
Furthermore, while it’s not yet clear what exactly caused this accident to occur, statistics show that bus accidents in New York are on the rise. In New York City alone, there were 7,567 bus crashes in 2016, versus 6,204 in 2012, a disturbing trend which illustrates the danger buses can pose on the road.
The injuries which result from rollover accidents or bus accidents can be severe. Common injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents include:
- Back and spinal injuries, particularly herniated discs
- Head and neck injuries, such as concussions or traumatic brain injuries (TBI’s)
- Knee injuries, such as a torn ACL or meniscus, often from colliding with the dashboard or interior of the vehicle
- Broken or fractured bones especially in the arms, legs or chest
- Crush injuries from being pinned within the vehicle or caught between two vehicles
- Hand or wrist injuries, with distal radius fractures (a broken wrist) being especially common in car accidents
- Foot injuries, particularly calcaneus fractures due to the force of the foot being driven against the floorboard
If you or someone you love have been seriously injured in a car or bus accident, waste no time in pursuing justice. Drivers or companies responsible for your injuries may attempt to blame you for the accident, and so you need a law firm that is able to quickly establish the facts of the case and that would be willing to go to trial to stand by them if necessary.
The personal injury attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy have won countless multi-million dollar results for victims of car accidents, and are always prepared, ready and able to take a case to court to defend your rights. Select motor vehicle verdicts and settlements our lawyers have won include:
- $6,000,000 settlement for the passenger of a bus who was seriously injured when his bus collided with a flatbed truck while driving in Brooklyn
- $3,369,066.75 jury verdict for the passenger of a vehicle who suffered severe spinal injuries after being rear-ended at a red light
- $3,000,000 settlement for a driver who suffered multiple fractures in his back, wrist and ribs after being struck by an MTA bus while driving through an intersection
- $1,941,000 jury verdict for a 29-year-old mother who was running errands in her SUV when she collided with a driver who had made an illegal U-turn
- $1,750,000 settlement for a driver in Long Island who required spinal fusion surgery after being struck by a bus that ran a stop sign
- $1,200,000 settlement for a driver who was struck by a drunk driver but did not realize the extent of his injuries until the day after his initial accident
Call 212-736-5300 to receive a free legal consultation today – there is no charge unless we win your case.