New York Ferry and Boat Accident Lawyers
Top Legal Representation for Ferry Crashes and Other Boat Injury Cases
Boating accidents, whether involving ferries or other vessels, can often lead to serious or even fatal injuries. If you’ve been injured, whether as a passenger or crew member aboard, you need nothing less than an accident attorney with a track record of success in boat and ferry injury cases to help you get the compensation that you deserve.
The attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy are skilled at litigating ferry crash and boat accident cases in the State of New York. Notable recoveries for our clients include:
- $1,125,000 settlement for a passenger who suffered a fractured leg and pelvis as a result of the 2003 Staten Island Ferry crash. the recovery was the largest settlement for any crash victim at the time . At the time of the settlement, 32 other victims’ cases had settled for a combined $600,000.
- $1,500,000 settlement for victims of a 2009 boating accident that received much media attention and occurred in Long Island waters, in the Great Island Channel in Seaford. That incident involved a 40 foot speedboat, whose passengers were on their way home when the boat crashed into Goose Island, ejecting all occupants. The resulting lawsuit involved claims of negligence by the boat’s operator, as well as claims of improper navigational aids against various municipalities.
In 2016, Block O’Toole & Murphy achieved 4 of the 5 Highest Settlements in all of New York State for accident victims. Looking to speak with a lawyer? Call 212-736-5300 or fill out our contact form for a FREE case review.
Injuries from boating and ferry accidents can result from various forms of negligence, including:
- Reckless operation of the vessel, including speeding
- Distracted or drunk operators
- Ignoring waterway laws
- Failing to carry adequate safety equipment
- Improper boat maintenance
It is essential for those injured in boating or ferry accidents to seek out legal representation as quickly as possible to protect their rights, as there is a time limit to file a lawsuit in New York. A lawyer with expertise in waterway laws that govern multiple municipalities in New York can better represent your case and give you the best shot at getting a full and fair compensation for your injuries.
Accidents on Boats, Ferries, Water Taxis, and Cruise lines
The Law Firm of Block O’Toole & Murphy represents victims in ferry and boat accident cases, including accidents involving:
- Staten Island Ferry
- East River Ferry
- New York Water Taxi
- New York Waterway
- Hudson River Ferries
- Liberty Landing Ferry
- Seastreak Ferries
- Sightseeing Cruises
- Dinner Cruises
- Private Boat Tours
Since boats, such as ferries that commuters use, typically carry multiple passengers, an accident can result in serious injuries to dozens of people on board. For instance, if a ferry crashes into a pier, multiple people may be lurched forward and hit their heads, facing head trauma and other severe injuries. If the crash causes structures to fall, passengers face very real dangers of being crushed or killed.
Injuries from boating accidents, such as ferry crashes, include but are not limited to:
- Brain damage, such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Broken bones
- Crush injuries
- Lung damage
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal injuries, including paralysis
Boat accidents are serious. The attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy understand the devastation that a catastrophic accident can cause, and we will not rest until justice has been done for our clients. Make no mistake: the company operating the boat or ferry is responsible for getting passengers to their destination safely.
The firm is willing and able to invest in funds necessary to hire the right experts to help us build the best case possible for our clients. We work with a number of accomplished medical and financial experts. Additionally, a case sometimes requires professionals in other fields, such as a nighttime visibility specialist, if the incident occurred at night. As with any accident, it is always best to retain a lawyer as soon as possible, so that a timely and thorough investigation can take place and steps can immediately be taken to protect your legal rights.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a boating or ferry accident, call today for a FREE consultation: 212-736-5300.