Manhattan Garbage Truck Accident Lawyers
Injured in an accident with an NYC Sanitation Truck?
Although garbage trucks may seem too slow to be a threat to public safety, they actually pose significant dangers to pedestrians, bicyclists and even sanitation workers themselves. The NYPD recently said that New York garbage trucks have caused at least 20 fatalities since 2016. A study from the Alliance for a Greater New York, meanwhile, found that these sanitation trucks have caused at least 43 deaths in New York since 2010.
If you or someone you love was injured or killed by a garbage truck in New York or New Jersey, Block O’Toole & Murphy can help. As one of the state’s premier personal injury law firms, we have obtained more than $1 billion* for our clients and have won numerous multi-million dollar results for victims of garbage truck accidents, such as:
- $5,000,000 settlement after a mother of three was tragically killed by a private garbage truck in Midtown West
- $4,750,000 settlement for a union signalman who was crossing the street in Brooklyn when he was struck by a turning NYC sanitation vehicle that did not fully stop at the intersection
- $3,000,000 settlement for a 78-year old woman who was struck by a garbage truck while riding in a marked bicycle lane in the East Village
- $2,100,000 settlement after a cyclist was hit by a garbage truck in Long Island City, Queens
- $2,000,000 settlement in a lawsuit against the City of New York after a municipal sanitation truck hit a car and seriously injured the front-seat passenger
- $1,750,000 settlement after a city-owned garbage truck rear-ended a car at a red light
- $1,250,000 settlement for a man who was struck by an NYC sanitation vehicle while stopped at a red light
To learn more about our results or to discuss your case, call our NYC attorneys at 212-736-5300 to schedule a FREE, no-obligation consultation. You may also complete our online contact form to get started.
Examples of Potential Negligence in Garbage Truck Accidents
Because sanitation trucks spend most of their time in residential neighborhoods, they are in constant proximity to pedestrians and cyclists in crosswalks, driveways and sidewalks. This becomes especially hazardous when the trucks are in bad condition and suffering from faulty brakes, balding tires, damaged steering wheel parts, or other possible defects.
Heightening the danger is the fact that garbage trucks often operate in very tight spaces and can be difficult to maneuver. This job is made harder for drivers of private sanitation trucks who often work shifts much longer than the 11 hour driving limit mandated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
When cyclists, pedestrians and other passersby are exposed to negligent practices in this dangerous industry, catastrophic injuries may result. Our New York garbage truck accident attorneys handle all types of negligence-related cases, such as:
- Failure to look before backing up or turning
- Driving in the wrong lane
- Falling objects or waste from the back of the truck
- Inadequate vehicle maintenance
- Overly fatigued drivers
- Distracted drivers on cellphones
- Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failure to stop at stop signs or lights
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
Consult a Sanitation Truck Accident Attorney Serving New York
Were you seriously injured in a New York City garbage truck accident? If so, get a FREE case evaluation from the experienced personal injury lawyers at Block O’Toole & Murphy by calling 212-736-5300, or by filling out our online contact form. Serving Manhattan, Queens, Long Island, The Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island and all of New York State.
Se habla español | Мы Говорим по-Русски | Mowimy po Polsku
*Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.