New York Bike Accident Lawyers
The roadways of New York can be a crowded, dangerous place – particularly for cyclists. Between motorists ignoring designated bike lanes and driving recklessly, bad road conditions and bike manufacturer defects, accidents involving bicycles have resulted in thousands of injuries to cyclists annually in New York City alone.
If you or a loved one have been injured while biking in New York City, the Law Firm of Block O’Toole & Murphy can help. We have won over 1.5 billion dollars for our clients in all types of personal injury cases and will work hard to get you the justice and compensation you deserve . Notable bicycle accident results include:
- $110,174,972 jury verdict for a cyclist paralyzed by a railroad tie that fell from the subway tracks above while he was biking through a public street in Bushwick, Brooklyn
- $2,500,000 settlement for a cyclist who was doored by an Access-A-Ride van in the Bronx and suffered knee and back injuries
- $2,100,000 settlement for a cyclist who required spinal fusion surgery after he was struck by a New York City Department of Sanitation garbage truck
- $1,300,000 settlement for a 52-year-old man in Brooklyn who fractured his left leg when he was struck by a van turning out of a parking lot
- $1,250,000 recovery for a bicycle messenger who was struck by an SUV which ran a red light in the Bronx, fracturing his right tibia and fibula
Block O’Toole & Murphy was featured in the 2018 issue of New York City Best Lawyers® magazine. Receive a free legal consultation by calling 212-736-5300 or contacting us online – there is no charge unless we win your case.
Common Causes of Bike Accidents in New York City
The vast majority of cycling accidents in NYC occur between bikes and motor vehicles. In 2016, there were 4,592 injuries to cyclists (along with 18 fatalities) caused by collisions with cars, trucks, vans and buses compared to just 64 bike injuries involving pedestrians, according to the New York City Department of Transportation.
When accidents happen, injuries can be catastrophic. Because the majority of bike accidents occur when the cyclist collides with a much bigger vehicle, the lack of a roof, doors, airbag, and seat belt leaves cyclists vulnerable to fractures, head injuries, and internal injuries. Some of the most common hazards facing cyclists are:
- Motorist runs red light or stop sign. In the same way that one should always drive defensively, cyclists should always take care at intersections and watch for motor vehicles running red lights or stop signs.
- Manufacturer defects. Riders should regularly ensure that their bike is in good working condition; faulty brakes or a flat tire while on the busy roads of New York could prove devastating.
- Turning without signaling. Cyclists in bike lanes are vulnerable to motorists making right turns; watch vehicles carefully when approaching intersections.
- Road rage or driving under the influence. Negligent motorists can be unpredictable; ride without music and wear a helmet to protect yourself against erratic drivers.
- Poor road conditions. Potholes or debris in the bike lane could prove catastrophic to cyclists who don’t anticipate them.
- Getting ‘doored.’ While cars in motion may be the most intimidating thing on the road, many bike accidents occur when a car parked on the side of the road opens a door and hits a passing cyclist.
On the crowded streets of New York City, there are many things that can go wrong and cause accidents which seriously injure cyclists. By knowing what the dangers are, you can protect yourself against these hazards and bike as safely and lawfully as possible.
What To Do If You’re Injured in a Bike Accident
It’s important to act calmly and purposefully in the wake of a serious biking accident. The first thing to do is take careful note of the surroundings and conditions that caused your accident. This involves exchanging contact and insurance information with a motorist involved in the crash. It also means that you should attempt to speak with any eyewitnesses at the scene. If a vehicle hits you and flees the scene, you should attempt to record their license plate number so justice can be served.
Contacting the authorities is another crucial step in the aftermath of an accident. Police will be able to take a detailed report of the facts of the accident and will get official statements from you and any witnesses who may be present. If you decide to pursue legal action, this police report will be invaluable in supporting the facts of the case.
Consulting with a doctor is also crucial in the wake of any accident that causes you injury. Even if an injury doesn’t feel serious at first, symptoms do not always reveal themselves right away, particularly in the case of back and spinal injuries. Speaking with a doctor will bring you some peace of mind, and the medical report will be another valuable document if you choose to pursue legal action.
Contact a NYC Cycling Accident Law Firm
The bicycle accident attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy are renowned for their knowledge, experience and tenacity. If you or a loved one have been injured in a cycling accident, Block O’Toole & Murphy can help defend your rights and pursue compensation for the damages you suffered. Call 212-736-5300 today or fill out our online contact form to receive a free legal consultation.
Serving Queens, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Long Island, Buffalo, New Rochelle and the rest of New York State.