New York Uber and Lyft Accident Attorneys
Hurt in an Uber, Lyft, or Other Rideshare Crash? Learn Your Legal Rights.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident involving an Uber, Lyft, or other ridesharing app, our attorneys understand the pain and uncertainty that follow a devastating crash. If you’ve been harmed in any way as a result of an Uber or Lyft accident, you may be eligible for compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. New York State insurance requirements exist to protect everyone involved in rideshare app accidents, including:
- Injured passengers in Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare cars
- Uber and Lyft drivers hurt in collisions with another vehicle
- Pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists hit by an Uber or Lyft driver
- Drivers and passengers in other vehicles struck by Uber or Lyft drivers
In 2020 alone, the Law Firm of Block O’Toole & Murphy attained the highest auto accident settlement in the Northeast – a $9 million result. In told, we recovered well over 100 motor vehicle accident results exceeding $1,000,000 for our clients. For a FREE legal consultation, please call 212-736-5300 or fill out our Contact Form.
Ride-hailing apps have been growing in popularity in recent years; a number of companies have become powerhouses within the United States and globally. For instance, as of December 2018, Uber has reached 10 billion rides worldwide. In the State of New York, ride-hailing apps are popular in most metropolitan areas, including Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Yonkers, New Rochelle, and – of course – New York City and some suburban neighborhoods as well.
Uber and Lyft have seen widespread adoption due to their ease of use, time-saving benefits, and affordability compared to traditional taxi services. However, should an accident arise, you need nothing less than a trial attorney with extensive knowledge of local and state traffic laws to help you get maximum compensation for your injuries. Our attorneys represent those injured in crashes and other accidents involving rideshare companies such as Uber, Lyft, Juno, Gett, and Via. This applies to all Uber and Lyft rideshare services, including:
- Uber X
- Lyft Line
- Lyft Plus
- Lyft Lux
- Lyft Lux SUV
- Lyft car seat
New York Insurance Law for Ride-hailing Apps
New York State recently passed new requirements pertaining to insurance coverage for TNC (Transportation Network Companies) such as Uber and Lyft. In the Fiscal Year 2018 New York State Executive Budget for Transportation Economic Development and Environmental Conservation Article VII Legislation, Article 44-B Section 1693 states that transportation network companies must now provide the following insurance policies for all parties involved in accidents:
- At least $50,000 per person and $100,000 per occurrence when the Uber or Lyft driver is logged into the app’s digital network and is available to receive transportation requests
- At least $1,000,000 for customer trips, which starts from moment the driver accepts the trip and ends when the customer is dropped off
Some rideshare companies offer insurance coverage above these requirements. For example, Uber provides $75,000 per person and $150,000 per occurrence when the driver is logged into the network but hasn’t accepted a customer trip yet. Their policy is $1,250,000 for drivers engaged in customer trips (from the time the Uber driver accepts the trip to the time that the passenger is dropped off).
One crucial aspect about the new law is that the policy maintained by the ridesharing company must provide requisite coverage even if the driver has failed to obtain insurance. The law is meant to protect all those involved in accidents: parties struck by Uber and Lyft drivers, Lyft and Uber passengers, and the rideshare drivers themselves.
The coverage extends to all Uber and Lyft vehicles operating within New York State with the exception of the five boroughs of New York City.
Questions about a rideshare accident? Call the attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy for a free consultation: 212-736-5300.
Legal Help for Lyft and Uber Drivers Hurt in Collisions
Whether it’s a side hustle or a full-time job, becoming an Uber, Lyft, or other rideshare driver comes with certain advantages, such as flexible work hours and additional income streams. However, the job isn’t without risks. Uber and Lyft drivers oftentimes work late hours when it’s inconvenient to take public transportation or drive to one’s destination. Continually driving at night puts rideshare drivers at increased risk for vehicle crashes caused by other drivers who may be operating a vehicle while distracted or drunk.
Risk factors when driving for Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare apps include:
- Low nighttime visibility: With low light at night, especially in certain parts of upstate New York, drivers are prone to road hazards such as uneven pavement and dangers from other parties. For instance, if another driver switches lanes without checking their blind spot, it’s more difficult for Uber and Lyft drivers to avoid a crash in low light settings.
- Distracted and tired drivers: Incidences of distracted driving have been on the rise in recent years, especially with the increased adoption of smartphones. Inattentive driving may lead to accidents that harm Lyft and Uber drivers and their passengers.
- Reckless driving, such as speeding: Unfortunately, speeding and other forms of reckless driving can cause catastrophic harm to those struck by reckless drivers. Severe injuries include traumatic brain injury (TBI), spinal cord injury, broken bones, cardiac arrests, torn ligaments, and more.
- Drunk driving: Drunk driving is not uncommon at night, especially on weekends. Uber and Lyft drivers may be injured when one of these drivers strike their vehicle. Each year, alcohol involvement results in over 7,000 crashes in New York.
If you were hurt on the job, you may be able to recover compensation for your pain and suffering, injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and more. A rideshare accident lawyer can help you file a lawsuit against those who are responsible for your injuries.
Top Auto Accident Verdicts and Settlements in New York State
Since 2012, no other law firm in New York has attained more verdicts and settlements exceeding $1,000,000 for injured clients than Block O’Toole & Murphy. Our accident attorneys have attained a number of record-setting results in motor vehicle accident cases including:
- $32,756,156 verdict in Long Island case for Vietnam veteran who was struck by a driver impaired on drugs
- $22,500,000 settlement in upstate New York case for a driver involved in a head-on collision on Route 6 in Somers, New York
- $14,000,000 recovery for motorcyclist who was struck by a vehicle in Nassau County
- $13,500,000 settlement for pedestrian who was struck by a car while she was walking home on St. Johnland Road in Suffolk County
To learn more about our results for auto accident victims, please visit our Motor Vehicle Accident Case Results page.
Our law firm represents all New York State, including the following counties:
If you were hurt in a Lyft, Uber, or other rideshare accident, please contact Block O’Toole & Murphy. Call 212-736-5300 or fill out our Contact Form for a Free Case Review with an experienced attorney.