At around 6:15AM on Monday, September 18, a Q20 MTA bus and a Dahlia Travel and Tours bus collided at the busy intersection of Northern Boulevard and Main Street in Flushing, Queens, as reported by The New York Times.
Three people were killed and at least 15 were injured, seven of them critically.
The Q20 was making a right turn when it was struck by the tour bus on Northern Boulevard. The collision caused the tour bus to crash into a nearby fast food restaurant, Kennedy Fried Chicken, at the corner. A fire soon erupted at the site of the restaurant.
Firefighters and medics rushed to the scene. Several critically injured were taken to NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital while noncritical patients were taken to Flushing Hospital and Elmhurst Hospital.
Horrifying, one of the people killed was a pedestrian pinned underneath one of the buses. Two people who were initially taken to hospitals were confirmed dead.
The collision is currently under investigation, as authorities will look at the surveillance video to help determine what caused the crash. However, from initial reports, it appears that negligent driving was a likely cause of the collision.
The incident is horrifying for all those involved. We offer our deepest condolences to the families of those killed in the crash. We also wish those injured a swift and full recovery.
Because of the size of buses, it’s critical that drivers exercise extreme caution when driving. A bus accident can result in catastrophic injuries and even death to pedestrians and passengers involved, as evidenced by the tragic crash today.
In bus accident cases like today’s, it’s critical that those injured protect their legal rights by seeking a lawyer skilled in representing clients in bus crash cases. The attorney will gather evidence from the very beginning to help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. This includes financial compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and more. If you’ve lost a loved one to a bus crash, the attorney can help you file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover damages.
The bus accident lawyers at Block O’Toole & Murphy have extensive experience litigating bus crash cases. We represented multiple clients injured in bus collisions, including pedestrians and bus passengers. Notable case results include:
- $6,000,000 recovery for a passenger in a New York City Transit Authority bus that was making a right turn when it crashed with a flatbed truck
- $3,000,000 settlement for a man who suffered hip, arm, and ankle fractures after a collision with an MTA bus
- $2,200,000 settlement to a pedestrian who was crossing within a crosswalk when she was struck by an NYC Transit bus
- $2,056,656 jury verdict for a client with neck and lower back injuries after she was struck by a New York City Transit Authority bus
- $1,450,000 reward for a driver who suffered herniated discs and other injuries after she collided with a bus
- $1,400,000 settlement for an NYC public bus passenger that was injured when the bus collided with another vehicle
If you or someone you love was injured or killed in a bus accident, you can speak with a qualified lawyer about your case today. Our firm offers free legal consultations to injury victims in New York. Simply call 212-736-5300 or fill out our contact form.