Even in the presence of El Nino, winter can seem like a never-ending season. But the joys of summer recreation are closer than you think.
So are the dangers of negligent boaters.
The New York Boat Show took place earlier this month, drawing thousands of prospective buyers to the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center.
Whether you own your own boat or find yourself as a passenger on someone else’s watercraft, it is crucial to follow these basic safety tips:
· Make sure you know how to swim
· Wear a life jacket, and keep at least one per passenger on board
· Know CPR, and be prepared to use it
· Stay alert at all times, especially when children are present
· Do not drink alcohol if you are in charge of operating the watercraft or watching children
· Take a boating safety course
An Ounce Of Prevention is Worth A Pound of Cure
Taking the time to think about these tips now and make sure you are prepared for the boating season can help you avoid safety risks and complications later. Once our beautiful summer weather returns, we want you to be focused on enjoying it in the presence of friends and family, not dealing with avoidable tragedies.