$1,350,000 Settlement for Herniated Discs From Car Accident
In a New York case, a driver was stopped at a red light when he was suddenly rear-ended by a truck. As a result of the collision, he sustained herniated discs at the C3-C4 and C4-C5 levels requiring surgery. Despite a vigorous defense that argued that the impact of the crash was minimal and that the herniated discs were pre-existing, the attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy were able to help him recover a $1.35 million settlement.
Plaintiff was working as livery driver at the time of the collision. Plaintiff was stopped at a red light on Bedford Avenue where it intersects with Putnam Avenue when – without warning – he was rear-ended by a truck. The truck driver claimed that he was stopped behind Plaintiff at the red light on Bedford Avenue when the light turned green and Plaintiff began to move and then stopped suddenly causing defendant to hit Plaintiff’s vehicle in the rear. The truck driver further claimed that plaintiff was on his cell phone and not paying attention while operating his vehicle. The defense also produced an independent witness who also claimed plaintiff was on his cell phone and not paying attention to the road.
The Plaintiff sustained spinal disc herniations at the C3-C4 and C4-C5 levels with radiculopathy, which required an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF surgery). Plaintiff claimed he would need future medical care and treatment for the injuries sustained in the accident.
The Defendants argued that the impact was minimal and that the herniated discs were pre-existing and not caused by the car accident. Further, defendants claimed that plaintiff had an excellent result from the cervical spine surgery and requires no additional treatment.
If you suffered herniated disc(s) to the cervical, thoracic, or lumbar regions of your spine after a crash, call 212-736-5300 or fill out our Contact Form for a free legal consultation with an experienced car accident attorney.
The case settled right before jury selection was scheduled to begin for $1,350,000.
This case was handled by Stephen J. Murphy, Esq. and Michael J. Hurwitz, Esq.
Top Results in Herniated Disc Car Accident Lawsuits
The lawyers at Block O’Toole & Murphy have extensive experience litigating cases where our clients suffered herniated discs as a result of a serious car crash. To date, we recovered well over $1.5 billion in verdicts and settlements for injury victims. Our attorneys will fight aggressively for every dollar you are entitled to under the law.
Select results* for auto injury victims who suffered herniated disc injuries include:
- $9,263,326 jury verdict for a passenger in a taxi cab who sustained serious injuries after the taxi was involved in a 3-car collision. He suffered nerve damage to his lumbar spine and a herniated disc to his cervical spine.
- $6,000,000 settlement for a bus passenger who suffered a herniated disc in his lumbar spine among other injuries after the bus crashed with a truck at an intersection in Brooklyn.
- $5,500,000 settlement for a driver who suffered exacerbation of a pre-existing herniated disc at L5-S1 and a new herniated disc at L4-5. He required lumbar fusion surgery for his injuries.
- $4,600,000 recovery for a Long Island car accident victim who sustained herniated discs in the lumbar and cervical regions of his spine.
- $4,100,000 award for a backseat car passenger who suffered multiple herniated discs after a rear-end collision.
- $4,000,000 settlement ($19,394,595 anticipated payout) for a child hit by a van while crossing the street. She sustained a herniated disc at L5-S1 among other injuries.
- $3,375,000 settlement for a driver who was rear-ended by a truck while he was stopped at a red light. As a result of the crash, he sustained herniated discs at L4/5 and C5/6, which required spinal fusion surgeries.
- $3,500,000 settlement for a driver who sustained herniated discs in his neck and back after he was sideswiped by another vehicle in Queens, New York.
- $3,500,000 settlement in a Bronx case for a client who was hit by a vehicle that ran a stop sign. As a result of the accident, she sustained knee and back injuries, including a lumbar herniated disc at L5-S1.
- $3,400,000 settlement for a man hit by a vehicle in Central Park in Manhattan. He suffered cervical herniated discs with multilevel stenosis.
For more information on herniated discs and other spinal injuries, visit the Spinal Cord Injury After Car Accident section of our website. To speak with a qualified attorney, please call 212-736-5300 today.
We serve New York and New Jersey.
*Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome