New York Fatal Car Crash Lawyers
Acclaimed New York Wrongful Death Attorneys Representing Those Who Have Lost a Loved One in an Auto Accident
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s roadway safety data, in New York in 2018, there were 887 fatal car crashes, with 941 deaths as a result of those crashes. Although the fatality rate is down slightly from .81 in 2017 to .76 in 2018, it’s clear that car accidents are still a leading cause of wrongful death in New York. While most New York motorists are aware of the dangers of driving in New York, no one expects to lose a loved one in a motor vehicle accident. If your relative or loved one was killed in an auto accident, our acclaimed New York wrongful death attorneys may be able to help you handle the financial consequences of your loss. Fatal car crashes devastate families. Although we cannot eliminate the grief incurred as a result of the accident, we believe that our wrongful death lawyers will play an invaluable role in the recovery process.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can be caused by many factors, some related to driver behavior and some related to factors out of the driver’s control. Some of the negligent actions that can cause car crashes include:
- Distracted driving (such as texting or talking on the phone, putting on makeup, or being distracted by someone else in the vehicle)
- Drunk or intoxicated driving
- Reckless driving (such as speeding or being overly aggressive)
- Car manufacturer error
- Driving while fatigued
- Driving in bad weather conditions
- Poorly designed or maintained roads
Not all car accidents are caused solely by another motorist’s wrongdoing. There could be multiple contributing factors or other liable parties involved. For example, the offending driver could have been driving in a car that, due to a manufacturer error, was not well-equipped to handle the snow storm he was driving in. Or, the minor behind the wheel of the car that caused an accident could have been served alcohol by a bartender who chose not to ID. In many car accident wrongful death cases, there could be multiple parties who may be found liable for contributing to the accident.
How to Bring a Fatal Car Crash Wrongful Death Case
A wrongful death claim is legal action taken by the loved ones of someone who has died as a result of someone else’s negligence, with the goal of recovering compensation for the surviving family’s losses. Wrongful death claims typically arise when a person dies in a case that otherwise would have been considered personal injury.
Understanding your legal rights when a loved one tragically dies in a car crash is not an easy task, especially while grieving. If you have lost someone in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, it is likely in your best interest to speak to a fatal car crash lawyer to discuss your case and allow them to guide you through the complex process of bringing a lawsuit. However, we can offer some general guidelines below on things to consider if you are thinking about bringing a wrongful death case after a fatal car crash.
- Statute of limitations: In New York, wrongful death cases must be brought within two years of the victim’s date of death.
- Know who can file: Typically, wrongful death suits can only be brought by immediate family members, such as the spouse, parents, or children of the deceased. In New York, in order to bring the lawsuit, one of these family members has to be designated as the personal representative for the decedent’s estate in order to make the claim.
- Damages: Think about what kind of damages you are trying to recover by making a wrongful death claim. Common damages in wrongful death cases include medical and funeral expenses for the deceased, loss of the deceased’s future income, loss of companionship, and damages for the pain and suffering the deceased might have experienced before their death in the accident.
- Uninsured and underinsured coverage: It might be useful to ask your insurance carrier about uninsured and underinsured coverage. These two kinds of policies can help protect you if the driver who is at fault had inadequate insurance coverage and cannot afford to pay damages. Uninsured coverage provides coverage for wrongful death damages if the at-fault driver had no insurance at the time of the crash. Underinsured coverage provides coverage when the at-fault driver’s insurance policy has been exhausted. Underinsured coverage is a bit trickier to navigate, because the insurance company will likely want you to be satisfied with the amount that the at-fault driver’s policy covered.
An experienced wrongful death lawyer will be able to elaborate on these topics; do not hesitate to get in touch with an attorney if you are in need of legal assistance.
Types of Car Accidents
The attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy are well-versed in New York wrongful death law and have prevailed on behalf of many bereaved families. We accept a variety of wrongful death cases, including those stemming from the following types of fatal car crashes:
- Rollover accidents
- Rear-end collisions
- Side-impact crashes
- Drunk driving accidents
- Pedestrians hit by cars
- Poorly maintained roads
Regardless of the type of car crash, if you have lost a loved one in a car accident as a result of someone else’s negligence, we are here to help. Call us at 212-736-5300 today to speak to an experienced wrongful death lawyer.
New York Fatal Car Accident Lawyers
Our attorneys have experience handling a wide range of vehicle accident cases, including those involving fatalities. We are dedicated to seeking the maximum compensation on behalf of our clients and holding the responsible parties accountable for their negligent actions. Our unwavering commitment to our clients and compassionate approach has helped us develop and maintain a track record of impressive results, including:
- $7,525,000 Settlement for a family after a mother and son were tragically killed in a fatal car crash in Long Island
- $5,000,000 Settlement in a wrongful death case for the surviving children of a mother who was killed in a truck accident in midtown Manhattan
- $3,000,000 Recovery after a car collision took the life of a loving father who suffered severe injuries and passed away 11 hours after he was taken to the hospital
- $2,625,000 Settlement for the children of a New York couple who was killed while driving in Pennsylvania
- $2,558,000 Recovery in a Brooklyn wrongful death case for the family of a car passenger who sustained a traumatic brain injury and died 9 months later
- $2,545,000 Settlement in a tragic Suffolk County case for a mother who was killed as a result of 3-car collision
- $2,000,000 Wrongful Death Recovery for parents of a driver who passed away as a result of a crash caused by icy roads
- $1,750,000 Settlement for the surviving children of a woman who was killed by a bus while walking in a crosswalk in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn
- $1,000,000 Settlement for the spouse of a pedestrian who was struck by a car in the Bronx and died days later at Jacobi Medical Center
In 2018, the Law Firm of Block O’Toole & Murphy attained 4 of the Top 10 Settlements in New York. We serve the NYC boroughs of Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island as well as all of New York State.
At Block O’Toole & Murphy, we treat every single one of our clients with the respect and personal attention they require. Speak with a qualified lawyer today by calling 212-736-5300 or fill out our online contact form.