$3,100,000 for Client Who Suffered Severe Back Injury Requiring Surgery
In a New York case, a worker fell from a ladder while installing a security camera and sustained a herniated disc to his lower back requiring surgery. Despite the surgery, he continued to suffer lower back pain and requires a cane to walk. Represented by the Law Firm of Block O’Toole & Murphy, he received a $3.1 million settlement.
Description of Case
Plaintiff, a 29 year old resident alien originally from Estonia, was injured while installing a security camera in an elevator of a newly constructed Manhattan hi-rise. Plaintiff was standing on an A-frame ladder using a drill above his head to install the camera into the elevator ceiling. The ladder began to wobble and plaintiff was caused to fall approximately 3-4 feet, landing on his back. Plaintiff brought suit against the building owner and after discovery was completed, moved for summary judgment on liability under New York’s Labor Law Section 240. Defendant argued that there was no proof that the ladder in question was defective or failed to offer proper protection. The court granted Plaintiff’s motion.
Plaintiff was treated and released from the emergency room and instructed that he was capable of returning to work without restriction. When Plaintiff’s lower back pain persisted he sought further medical treatment and was ultimately diagnosed with a herniated lumbar disc that was treated with fusion surgery and implantation of permanent operative hardware. Plaintiff continued to suffer severe low back pain, remained unable to return to work and continues to require a cane for ambulation.
Several weeks after a private mediation, the parties agreed to a settlement in the amount of $3,100,000.
This case was handled by Partners Daniel P. O’Toole and Scott Occhiogrosso.
Top Legal Representation for Accident Victims Who Suffered Back Injuries
The personal injury attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy offer top-notch legal representation for those injured by another party’s negligence. We recovered well over $1 billion for clients and since 2012, we attained more results exceeding $1,000,000 than any other law firm in New York.
Select verdicts and settlements for clients who required back surgery after a serious injury include:
- $6,000,000 settlement for a passenger on a city bus who suffered back injuries requiring a lumbar laminectomy, facetectomy, and fusion surgery on the L5-S1 level
- $5,500,000 settlement for a client who suffered serious back injuries after an elevator accident. He required a lumbar decompression and a temporary spinal cord stimulator.
- $5,160,916 verdict for a man who was hit by a vehicle that ran a stop sign and suffered back injuries requiring spinal fusion surgery at the C5/6 and L5/S1 levels
- $4,200,000 settlement for a worker who suffered lower back injuries requiring a two-level lumbar fusion surgery after an on-the-job accident
- $4,000,000 settlement for a client who suffered multiple herniated discs after a car accident and ultimately underwent a discectomy, laminectomies, and fusion surgeries
- $3,200,000 settlement in a stairway accident case for a client who required a two-level fusion surgery on his lower back
To speak with an attorney today, please call 212-736-5300.