$4,200,000 Settlement for Victim of Fall from Defective Ladder
In a New York case, a worker suffered serious back injuries which required surgery after he fell from an A-frame ladder. A rung from the ladder broke free as he was descending the ladder, causing him to fall several feet to the concrete floor below. Represented by Partners Daniel O’Toole and Scott Occhiogrosso, the worker received a $4.2 million settlement.
Court and County
Supreme Court, New York County
Plaintiff was injured when he fell from an A-frame ladder when a rung on the ladder broke free as plaintiff was descending after applying waterproofing material to structural I beams in the high rise building’s basement. Plaintiff fell several feet to the concrete floor, landing on the small of his back. We filed a motion for summary judgment and won, arguing that, defendants building owner and general contractor violated Labor Law § 240(1) in failing to ensure that Plaintiff with a safe and appropriate elevation device for the work he was performing.
As a result of this accident, Plaintiff suffered multiple traumatically herniated lumbar discs. Plaintiff underwent extensive conservative treatment, including physical therapy and prescription pain medications. When Plaintiff’s condition did not improve, he underwent a two level lumbar fusion surgery with implantation of permanent surgical hardware. We made a claim for future medical expenses as well as lost earnings.
Block O’Toole & Murphy succeeded in convincing the insurance companies to pay a settlement of $4,200,000 to avoid a trial.
The case was handled by Partners Daniel P. O’Toole and Scott Occhiogrosso.
Aggressive and Skilled Litigation in Ladder Accident Lawsuits
If you were harmed as a result of a ladder fall or other ladder-related accident at work, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. The ladder accident attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy have one of the best records in ladder accident lawsuits in the entire state of New York. To date, we recovered over 100 results exceeding $1,000,000 for injured workers in the construction industry – many of whom were injured in fall-related accidents.
Select results for workers injured in ladder falls include:
- $5,900,000 settlement in a Bronx case for a union bricklayer who suffered post-concussion syndrome, herniated discs, and other injuries after he fell from a ladder
- $5,885,000 jury verdict in a Queens case for a construction worker who suffered serious wrist, arm, and back injuries after he fell when the ladder he was using tipped over
- $5,500,000 settlement for a 40-year-old electrician who was working in a warehouse in Brooklyn when he fell from an aluminum extension ladder
- $5,000,000 jury verdict in a Brooklyn case for a 45-year-old electrician helper who ruptured his Achilles tendon and suffered lower back injuries after he fell 12 feet to the ground when the ladder slipped out from underneath him
- $4,900,000 settlement for union worker who fell approximately 10 feet to the floor from a wobbly ladder, causing him to suffer multiple fractures and a herniated disc in his lower back
Our lawyers are prepared to fight for victims harmed in serious accidents as a result of another party’s negligence. To speak with a Block O’Toole & Murphy attorney today, please call 212-736-5300 or fill out our Contact Form.