$8,000,000 Jury Verdict for Rear-End Collision Victim Who Suffered Severe Knee Injuries
Our client, a famous rock musician, was traveling with his band in the van they used to travel to gigs when they were rear-ended by a second vehicle. Our client was thrown from the van, lost consciousness, and tore multiple ligaments in both knees. He underwent multiple surgeries for his injuries and is expected to undergo a total knee replacement within 10 years of the accident, as well as revision surgeries every 10 years afterwards.
Court and County
Age and Occupation of Plaintiff
31-year-old rock musician
Description of Case
Our client, an actively touring musician, was going westbound on I-90 in the van he and his band used to travel to gigs. The van was driving with its warning lights flashing when a second vehicle struck them in the rear. This impact was very forceful and our client was thrown from the van, causing him to lose consciousness.
The police report of the incident cited defective brakes on the part of the Defendant as a contributing cause to the accident. It was later determined that our client had not been wearing a seatbelt at the time of the collision.
Injuries and Damages
Our client sustained multiple herniated discs in his back, severe injuries to both knees, and a litany of other injuries:
- Two fractured ribs
- Torn right supraspinatus tendon
- Disc herniations from L3-S1
- Torn right meniscus
- Torn ACL, LCL and meniscus in left knee
- 33% loss of forward flexion in lumbar spine
In the aftermath of the accident, doctors prescribed a course of epidural steroid injections to see if surgery could be avoided. He was also put on multiple prescription medications, including Percocet.
The combination of injections, medications and physical therapy proved ineffective, however, and he eventually required laminectomy surgery at L5/S1. Surgery was also required to repair the multiple torn ligaments in our client’s left knee.
A claim was also made for significant future medical costs. This stemmed primarily from the fact that a doctor testified our client would likely require a total knee replacement in the following 5-10 years, as well as multiple revision surgeries after that.
This case was tried to verdict by Daniel P. O’Toole.
If you’ve been hurt in a car accident, the lawyers at Block O’Toole & Murphy can help recover compensation for your damages. Receive a free legal consultation by calling 212-736-5300 or filling out our online contact form.
Legal Representation for Auto Injury Victims
Car accidents caused by negligent driving can result in debilitating injuries, including severe knee damage. If you’ve suffered knee or other injuries after a collision, the lawyers at Block O’Toole & Murphy can help. Our firm offers free legal advice to accident victims – call 212-736-5300 today for a FREE case evaluation. We serve New York and New Jersey.
Our attorneys are experienced in litigating auto accident lawsuits and have recovered millions of dollars for clients who sustained knee injuries after a major motor vehicle accident. Results include:
- $4,000,000 settlement for a 12-year-old child who underwent a right knee surgery after she was hit by a car while crossing the street
- $2,750,000 settlement for a woman who required arthroscopic surgery after a rear-end crash
- $2,700,000 settlement for a 23-year-old man who suffered a fractured patella and required a total knee replacement after a serious car accident
- $2,500,000 verdict for a woman suffered meniscus tears in both knees after a t-bone collision with a cement mixing truck, requiring bilateral arthroscopic knee surgery
- $2,005,000 settlement for a bartender who suffered a torn meniscus and required arthroscopic knee surgery after the taxi she was in was struck by an ambulance
To learn more, visit our Auto Injury Verdicts and Settlements page.