$4,000,000 Settlement for Worker with Fractured Vertebrae After Job-Related Fall
Our client, a 35-year-old laborer, was working on the roof of a home within a condominium complex. It was raining and due to the slickness of the roof, he slipped and fell to the ground below. As a result of the accident, he sustained serious injuries, including a burst fracture to his vertebrae. Represented by Block O’Toole & Murphy, he filed a lawsuit against the owner of the condominium complex and received a $4 million settlement.
Date of Settlement
April 4, 2017
Court and County
Supreme Court, Nassau County
Facts and Allegations
Our client was a 35 year old laborer who was performing roofing and siding work at a condominium complex. At the time of the accident, he was cutting wood on the roof of a one-story home within the complex in the rain. Due to the slickness of the roof, he slipped and fell down to the ground below, landing on a wooden deck. We claimed that our client was not provided any safety devices, such as roof brackets or a safety harness, which might have otherwise prevented his fall. We brought suit against the owner of the complex in Supreme Court Nassau County, alleging violation of New York Labor Law Section 240(1).
If you suffered fractures or other injuries in a car crash, work accident, slip and fall, or other accident, it’s important to understand your legal rights. Call 212-736-5300 or fill out our Contact Form to speak with an attorney today.
Our client suffered a serious back injury as a result of the fall. He was transported from the scene to a local hospital where he was admitted for two weeks. During that time, he was diagnosed with a burst fracture at the L1 level of his spine, and the vertebrae was also displaced and pushed into his spinal canal. As a result, a back surgery was performed, which involved open reduction with internal fixation and the insertion of hardware from the T11 down to the L3 level of our client’s spine.
After a brief inpatient rehabilitation admission, our client was discharged to his home. Since then, he has attended outpatient physical therapy, and attempted to control his continuing pain with medication. At the time of settlement, he remained disabled from employment, with continuing back pain and physical limitations. We brought claims on his behalf for his pain and suffering, lost earnings and medical expenses.
We negotiated a $4,000,000 settlement with the defense more than a year before the case would have gone to trial. This result is notable given the size of the settlement, particularly given the venue of the case in Nassau County, which is widely considered to be a conservative venue.
This case was handled by firm Partners Stephen J. Murphy and David L. Scher.
Skilled Litigation in Accident Cases Involving Fractured Vertebrae Injuries
The attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy are experienced in representing clients who suffered spine fractures and other injuries as a result of negligence from another party.
Select cases for clients who suffered a fractured vertebrae include:
- $6,250,000 settlement for a worker who fractured the cervical portion of his vertebrae, resulting in quadriplegia. The only available insurance was $2,000,000, but our attorneys helped the Plaintiff recover an additional $4,250,000 from personal money contributed by the defendants.
- $5,500,000 settlement for an electrician with multiple fractures to his lumbar spine after he fell from an extension ladder on the job in Brooklyn, New York
- $4,995,000 settlement in a Bronx case for a worker with multiple injuries, including a fracture in the lumbar region of his vertebrae
- $3,000,000 settlement for a client who suffered a fracture to the C5 vertebral body after a serious car accident
- $2,700,000 settlement in a Long Island case for a roofer with multiple fractures, including sacral fractures at the bottom of his vertebrae
Speak with a Block O’Toole & Murphy lawyer today by calling 212-736-5300. We serve New York and New Jersey.