COVID-19 Notice: Block O’Toole & Murphy has returned to full, in-person operation in accordance with safety regulations put forward by New York State and CDC health officials. Our attorneys continue to provide quality legal representation and are available to discuss your case in person, over the phone, email, or video. Read more from our partners.

Close Menu  X

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Verdicts & Settlements
  4.  » $1,500,000 Settlement for a 59-Year-Old Pedestrian Struck by a City-Owned Vehicle

$1,500,000 Settlement for a 59-Year-Old Pedestrian Struck by a City-Owned Vehicle in Tribeca

Supreme New York

Plaintiff was 59 years old and working as a custodial aide at the time of the accident.

Plaintiff was walking back to the office building where she worked after a lunch break when she was struck by a car owned by the City of New York. Plaintiff was walking southbound along Centre Street and crossing over Leonard Street in Manhattan, within the crosswalk, when the Defendant vehicle turned left onto Leonard Street and hit her. Plaintiff’s attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy, LLP moved for summary judgment on the issue of liability and prevailed on the motion, convincing the Court the accident was 100% the Defendant’s fault.

Plaintiff alleged injuries to her neck and left shoulder. MRI studies revealed disc herniations at C5/6 and C6/7, as well as tears in her shoulder. After physical therapy failed to relieve her pain, Plaintiff underwent an arthroscopic left shoulder surgery, and a two-level cervical spine fusion surgery. Plaintiff claimed disability from employment as a result of her injuries, and sought damages for lost earnings, medical expenses and her pain and suffering. The defense claimed her surgeries were unrelated to the accident, and that she had made a full recovery.

The case settled prior to trial for $1,500,000


This matter was handled by Stephen J. Murphy and David L. Scher.

Free Consultation with a
Block O'Toole & Murphy Attorney

For a consultation with one of our injury attorneys, please call 212-736-5300 or fill out the online form below.