Pedestrian accident attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy have been helping innocent pedestrian victims for decades, including a $32,756,156 verdict and a $12,000,000 settlement for New York pedestrians. As a result, pedestrian victims frequently seek out the advice of our pedestrian accident lawyers, usually asking, “What should I be doing and thinking about, if, god forbid, I am in a pedestrian accident again?” Below is our 16 point bulletin for any pedestrian looking for guidance.
It can happen in a split second. Pedestrians in New York City are constantly at risk of being involved in an accident. It is obvious because of the circumstances that pedestrians are more likely to sustain a serious injury than a motor vehicle occupant in the event of a crash. A pedestrian victim’s health and safety are the top priorities after an accident, but there are other important steps a victim should take to protect his or her rights before and after an accident takes place.
1. Always make sure you are aware of your surroundings and the traffic conditions on the roadways including any pedestrian walk signals or stop signs controlling vehicle traffic.
2. Be aware if you are crossing a one-way or a two-way intersection and whether there are additional lanes for turning vehicles.
3. Avoid talking on the phone while crossing a busy intersection.
4. Stop on the sidewalk before crossing the street and look both ways. Always cross at the intersection and within the designated crosswalk if there is one available. Wait to cross the street until the pedestrian signal is illuminated or cars are stopped at a stop sign before proceeding into the intersection.
5. After the accident try and remain calm. If you are able to, move to the sidewalk or a safe location to avoid further incident with other vehicles.
6. Assess your injuries.
7. Call 911 or ask a witness or passerby to call for help and advise the operator if you need emergency medical assistance.
8. Speak with the driver of the vehicle involved in the accident and get their version of what happened and insurance information.
9. Speak with any witnesses to the accident and get their contact information.
10. Take pictures of any property damage to the vehicle.
11. Wait until the police arrive and speak with an officer about how the accident took place. Ask the police officer how you can get a copy of the police report.
12. Allow the emergency medical service team to assist you if you are injured.
13. Contact the insurance company of the driver of the vehicle involved to report that you have been in an accident. Request a No Fault insurance application to cover your medical expenses. Return the No Fault application to your insurance company immediately, but no more than 30 days after the accident to preserve your right to be reimbursed for medical expenses and lost wages.
14. If you are still in pain after the accident, follow up immediately with your primary care doctor and ask for advice on medical treatment that might be necessary such as physical therapy.
15. Create a separate folder for the accident where you can keep a copy of all documents you receive including any photographs of the car or the accident scene, any letters from the driver’s insurance company, the No Fault application, the Police report and medical records. These are important documents that will help prove your case.
16. Contact an experienced attorney that handles personal injury cases for victims involved in pedestrian accidents. Ask questions. Get to know the lawyer you are considering retaining. It is a critical decision . Get it right. Make sure you know what the lawyer’s history is of obtaining results for other pedestrian victims. Also find out the number of verdicts and results of the verdicts that the lawyer has obtained. How big is the office? How many lawyers? How many cases do they carry? Too few lawyers and too many cases means less personal attention for you and your case.
Block O’Toole & Murphy has a team of experienced and dedicated trial attorneys dedicated to helping pedestrian victims. The serious injury trial lawyers have a track record of success helping victims, including more than $700,000,000 in verdicts and settlements. They are the lawyers that will not back down from a fight no matter how big the opposition is, including taking on large insurance companies and the City. To learn more about these committed and experienced lawyers, please see the firm website at www.blockotoole.com. For a free consultation, please call 212-736-5300.
View our video for Pedestrian Accident Victims.
Read about an Increase in Pedestrian Accidents in New York City Here: Pedestrian Accidents On The Rise In New York City