$2,400,000 Settlement for Herniated Disc Injuries After Work-Related Accident
A worker was descending an A-frame ladder when the ladder suddenly slipped out from under him, causing him to fall and strike his head against the wall behind him. As a result of the incident, he suffered herniated discs to both his cervical and lumbar spines. Represented by attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy, he received a $2.4 million settlement.
Court and County
Supreme Court, Queens County
Plaintiff was working at a building in Flushing, New York, disconnecting water, fuel and oil lines related to removal of the building’s boiler system. He needed to reach an oil line to cut it as part of the project and was working on a 12-foot A-frame ladder by the building’s superintendent. Our client was not issued any hard hats, harnesses or other safety equipment.
As he was working on one of the top rungs of the ladder, approximately 10′ off the ground, he cut the oil line which caused oil to leak out and land on him, the ladder and the floor. As he started to descend the ladder it suddenly slipped out from under him, causing him to fall, strike the back of his head against a concrete wall behind him and his right leg got struck between the wall and a pipe that was 1′ off the floor. We obtained an Affidavit from our client’s co-worker who witnessed the accident and supported his version of events.
If you suffered a herniated disc as a result of an on-the-job accident, it’s important to understand your legal rights. Our attorneys provide free legal consultations to accident victims hurt in workplace accidents. To speak with an attorney today, please call 212-736-5300 or fill out our Contact Form .
As a result of the accident, our client sustained herniated discs in his cervical spine and was required to undergo cervical spinal fusion surgery after conservative treatment failed to alleviate his symptoms. Our client also sustained a herniation to his lumbar spine. We also made claims on our client’s behalf for past and future pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life and economic damages that included past and future lost income for not being able to return to work due to his injuries.
Our firm was able to secure an early settlement, prior to depositions, of $2,400,000.
This case was handled by Daniel P. O’Toole and Frederick C. Aranki.
Skilled Litigation in Work-Related Herniated Disc Cases
The attorneys at Block O’Toole & Murphy are skilled at litigating New York workplace accident cases and have recovered numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements for workers hurt on the job.
Select verdicts and settlements for workers who suffered herniated discs include:
- $6,793,881 jury verdict for a worker who suffered multiple injuries, including a herniated disc at L5-SI which required spinal fusion surgery
- $6,000,000 settlement for a worker who fell from an exterior scaffold and sustained cervical herniated discs and lumbar herniations at L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels
- $5,900,000 settlement for a bricklayer who suffered post-concussion syndrome and multiple herniated discs, requiring a nerve stimulator to be implanted in his spine
- $5,885,000 jury verdict for a 35-year-old laborer who received spinal fusion surgery at L3-4 and L4-5 to help alleviate the pain caused by herniated discs at those levels
- $5,500,000 settlement for a delivery worker who suffered herniated discs at L4-5 and L5-S1 levels after he was hit by the gate of a freight elevator while making a delivery
To date, our law firm recovered over $1 billion for clients who suffered injuries as a result of another party’s negligence. To speak with an attorney today, please call 212-736-5300.