Ravi Sattiraju is Of Counsel to the law firm of Block, O’Toole & Murphy, LLP. Mr. Sattiraju has over a decade of experience litigating in state and federal courts. His primary focus is employment related litigation.
Mr. Sattiraju has litigated employment law matters in state and federal court for over ten years, under a broad spectrum of employment laws, including, but not limited to, Title VII, NJ Law Against Discrimination, Conscientious Employee Protection Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, New Jersey Wage and Hour Law, and Section 1983. He has represented Fortune 500 companies, public entities, privately held companies, individual defendants, as well as individuals against their employers.
In December 2011, Mr. Sattiraju was lead counsel in a hostile work environment matter in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Essex County, which resulted in a $22.6 million verdict for his client, including a $15 million punitive damage award. This is the largest single-plaintiff and punitive damage award in the history of the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination.
Mr. Sattiraju has extensive experience in employer counseling, investigations and anti-harassment/discrimination training. He previously served as the primary in-house employment attorney for L’Oreal USA’s entire domestic workforce of approximately 8,000 employees. In this capacity, and in private practice, he has counseled all levels of management and human resources professionals on employment law issues.
Mr. Sattiraju has been recognized by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in Employment and Labor Law. He has frequently lectured and published on various employment law topics for numerous organizations, including the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education, National Employment Lawyers Association, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine and Practicing Law Institute. He also serves on the Executive Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Section, and served as President and on the Board of Directors of the South Asian Bar Association’s New Jersey chapter.
Mr. Sattiraju received his B.A. from the University of Colorado and Boulder and J.D. from Rutgers University School of Law at Newark.
Mr. Sattiraju is admitted to practice in New Jersey and New York.
Areas Of Practice
- Employment Law Matters
- Employment Related Litigation
- New York
- New Jersey
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Law – Newark, Newark, New Jersey
- University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado
- New Jersey Lawyer Magazine and Practicing Law Institute
- Frequently Lectured, the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Frequently Lectured, National Employment Lawyers Association
Honors and Awards
- Recognized by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in Employment and Labor Law.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association’s, Labor and Employment Section, Executive Committee
- South Asian Bar Association’s New Jersey Chapter, President
- South Asian Bar Association’s New Jersey Chapter, Board of Directors