COVID-19 Notice: Block O’Toole & Murphy has returned to full, in-person operation in accordance with safety regulations put forward by New York State and CDC health officials. Our attorneys continue to provide quality legal representation and are available to discuss your case in person, over the phone, email, or video. Read more from our partners.

Close Menu  X

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Construction & Work Injuries
  4.  » What Should I Do After a Workplace Accident?

What Should I Do After a Workplace Accident?

construction worker.jpg

The New York State Worker’s Compensation Board offers the following tips about what to do after a workplace accident.

  • Obtain first aid or other medical treatment as soon as possible. The provider must be authorized by the Workers; Compensation Board (WCB) except in emergency situations. If further medical treatment or diagnosis is needed, your employer may require you to use a designated provider.
  • The provider will probably ask you to sign a form saying that if your workers’ compensation claim is disallowed, you will pay for the cost of treatment.
  • Tell your supervisor about the injury and how it occurred as soon as possible. If you do not tell your employer about the injury within 30 days, you may lose the right to work comp benefits. In the case of an occupation illness (rather than an injury), you should notify the employer within two years after you knew or should have known that the illness was work-related. Otherwise, you may be ineligible for benefits.
  • Complete a claim form for workers’ compensation (Form C-3) and mail it to your nearest Workers’ Compensation Board office.
  • Be sure to follow your doctor’s care instructions.
  • Go to the independent medical exam if you are requested by the WCB.
  • Return to work as soon as you can do so safely.
  • Go to any hearings about your case as requested by the WCB.

Failure to follow these steps could make you ineligible for benefits. Of course, if you have problems with your claim or believe that you were unfairly denied, a workers’ compensation or workplace injury lawyer can advise you.

Source: New York State Workers’ Compensation Board, “What to Do if You Are Injured on the Job,” n.d.