COVID-19 Notice: Block O'Toole & Murphy is fully operational in accordance with safety regulations provided by the CDC and local health officials.
Our attorneys continue to provide quality legal representation and are available to discuss your case over the phone, email, or video. Read more from our managing partners.
Block O'Toole & Murphy Block
& Murphy
Premier NY Personal Injury Lawyers

What Should I Do After a Workplace Accident?

construction worker.jpg

The New York State Worker's Compensation Board offers the following tips about what to do after a workplace accident.

  • Obtain first aid or other medical treatment as soon as possible. The provider must be authorized by the Workers; Compensation Board (WCB) except in emergency situations. If further medical treatment or diagnosis is needed, your employer may require you to use a designated provider.
  • The provider will probably ask you to sign a form saying that if your workers' compensation claim is disallowed, you will pay for the cost of treatment.
  • Tell your supervisor about the injury and how it occurred as soon as possible. If you do not tell your employer about the injury within 30 days, you may lose the right to work comp benefits. In the case of an occupation illness (rather than an injury), you should notify the employer within two years after you knew or should have known that the illness was work-related. Otherwise, you may be ineligible for benefits.
  • Complete a claim form for workers' compensation (Form C-3) and mail it to your nearest Workers' Compensation Board office.
  • Be sure to follow your doctor's care instructions.
  • Go to the independent medical exam if you are requested by the WCB.
  • Return to work as soon as you can do so safely.
  • Go to any hearings about your case as requested by the WCB.

Failure to follow these steps could make you ineligible for benefits. Of course, if you have problems with your claim or believe that you were unfairly denied, a workers' compensation or workplace injury lawyer can advise you.

Source: New York State Workers' Compensation Board, "What to Do if You Are Injured on the Job," n.d.

Speak with a Qualified New York Injury Lawyer Today

Fill out our short online contact form for a FREE, immediate case review, or call us locally at 212-736-5300 today. The lawyers in our firm work on a contingency basis, so we do not collect any money unless we win your case.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Firm Awards and Honors

These are some of the publications and organizations that have recognized our firm and individual attorneys for excellence.

Learn More
Block O'Toole & Murphy - Listed in Best Lawyers - Linking Lawyers and Clients Worldwide Best Lawyers - Best Law Firms - U.S. News The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers Super Lawyers Million Dollar Advocates Forum Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum Irish Legal 100 Martindale-Hubbell - Peer Rated For Ethical Standards and Legal Ability New York Magazine - Top Verdicts & Settlements New York Law Journal - NAACP Frances Pope Memorial Foundation - Love. Support. Hope. St. John's University - School of Law St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Expertise - Best Workers Compensation Attorneys New York City 2020
Call Block O'Toole & Murphy Today For Help - 212-736-5300

What can we help you find?