COVID-19 Notice: Block O’Toole & Murphy has returned to full, in-person operation in accordance with safety regulations put forward by New York State and CDC health officials. Our attorneys continue to provide quality legal representation and are available to discuss your case in person, over the phone, email, or video. Read more from our partners.

Close Menu  X

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Construction & Work Injuries
  4.  » Carbon Monoxide Leak at Long Island Restaurant Kills Manager

Carbon Monoxide Leak at Long Island Restaurant Kills Manager

The New York personal injury lawyers at Block O’Toole & Murphy, LLP are following the tragic and disturbing story of a carbon monoxide leak on Saturday at a Legal Sea Foods restaurant located in the Walt Whitman Mall in Huntington Station, a popular Long Island eatery. The manager of the restaurant, 55 year old Steve Nelson, was found passed out in a basement restroom of the restaurant and ultimately died at Huntington Hospital of carbon monoxide poisoning. Our deepest condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to those who mourn Mr. Nelson’s untimely death, including the 2 children he has reportedly left behind. Co-workers and bosses of Mr. Nelson have raved about him as a beloved man who was like a member of their family.

Nineteen others were reportedly sickened by the leak, including restaurant assistant manager Megan Smith, who was hospitalized. Ms. Smith was apparently overcome by the fumes when she went to look for Mr. Nelson. Several of the victims were ambulance workers and police officers who first responded to the scene. We hope and pray for a speedy and full recovery for Ms. Smith and all those who were poisoned in this horrific occurrence.

The investigation into this incident is ongoing, but a spokesman for the Town of Huntington, A.J. Carter, has already reported that a fire marshal traced the leak to a flue in the restaurant’s heating system, an issue apparently emanating from the restaurant’s basement. This leak was especially treacherous because the poisonous gas was odorless. The restaurant has been issued a summons for unsafe equipment and cannot re-open until inspectors are assured the problem has been remedied.

We hope that all causes of this gas leak are identified and that all responsible parties are properly held accountable for the terrible damage that has resulted. As personal injury lawyers, we hold careless and negligent businesses and individuals responsible when their actions or inactions lead to serious injury or death. We know through our own experience as New York accident attorneys that most accidents are preventable if people and companies exercise caution and diligence. Very frequently, the only way to fully learn the truth about an accident, and to achieve justice for its victims, is through a civil lawsuit where wrongdoers are exposed and ultimately made to compensate those they have hurt or killed. Here, the restaurant’s heating system was apparently in a faulty state, which allowed for the leak of this poisonous gas to occur.

Block O’Toole & Murphy is one of New York’s premier personal injury law firms. The firm represents those killed or seriously injured in premises accidents, motor vehicle accidents, construction accidents, and by acts of medical malpractice and general negligence. Through compassion for their clients, hard work and the relentless pursuit of justice, the firm has become well known for their top New York verdicts and settlements. In fact, Block O’Toole & Murphy has recovered well over $700 million for their clients and had more multi-million dollar case results than any firm in New York State in the years 2012 and 2013, according to The New York Law Journal and New York Magazine.

For a free consultation with these experienced trial lawyers call 212-736-5300 or visit their website.