Medical malpractice causes hundreds of thousands of injuries and deaths to patients throughout the United States each year. Medical malpractice occurs when a physician or hospital fails to provide a patient with the required standard of care, thus causing the patient to suffer harm.
At Block O'Toole & Murphy, our experienced New York medical malpractice attorneys have recovered millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for our clients. We know and study the applicable medical issues. We understand how the other side thinks because several trial attorneys on our team once worked for major malpractice defense firms in Manhattan.
To discuss a potential medical malpractice case, contact our NYC lawyers. Call us at 212-736-5300 or complete our online form to scedule a free consultation.
Medical Negligence Attorneys Serving New York City
Many types of medical errors may be grounds for a medical malpractice lawsuit. Many medical negligence cases involve birth injuries. Negligence on the part of hospital staff during childbirth can result in conditions such as cerebral palsy, Erb's palsy and brachial plexus palsy.
Failure to diagnose a serious disease such as cancer can also be grounds for a medical malpractice claim. Medication errors, surgical errors and anesthesia errors are additional forms of medical negligence that can lead to serious injuries for patients.
The Types of Malpractice Cases We Handle
To learn more, visit the following pages:
- Surgical mistakes
- Birth injuries:
- Failure to diagnose
- Failure to properly read MRIs, X-rays or mammograms
- Anesthesia injuries
- Gynecological errors
- Obstetric negligence
- Organ or bowel puncture or perforation
Learn About Our Results
Our attorneys have obtained multi-million verdicts and settlements* for clients injured as a result of medical negligence. These include:
- A $2.3 million settlement for an infant who suffered an injury to the large colon due to pediatrician negligence to result in an $18,074,933.08 payout over the infant's lifetime
- A $2.25 million settlement for a patient who was undergoing back surgery when the surgeon's drill pierced a bone, causing nerve damage
- A $1.95 million recovery for a patient who suffered a stroke during surgery, resulting in partial paralysis
View some more verdicts and settlements at our Medical Malpractice Case Results page.
One-Third of Medical Malpractice Claims Are the Result of Diagnosis Errors
According to Becker's Hospital Review, the most common source of medical malpractice lawsuits nationally was a diagnosis error. In 2012, 33 percent of claims involved this type of medical negligence. Other errors that resulted in medical malpractice claims included:
- Surgical and anesthesia errors - 27 percent
- Obstetrical errors leading to injury to baby or mother - 11 percent
- Medication errors - 4 percent
- Monitoring errors - 3 percent
- Other unspecified treatment errors - 22 percent
We offer a free, no-obligation consultation so that you can discuss your case with our attorneys at no cost. If you have been injured while under the care of a medical professional, we can help you obtain justice. Call us at 212-736-5300, or contact us online today.
Se habla español | Мы Говорим по-Русски | Mowimy po Polsku
**Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.