Daniel P. O'Toole
Daniel P. O'Toole is one of New York's premier construction accident and catastrophic injury trial attorneys. He graduated from the Fordham University School of Law in 1992 and is admitted to the New York and New Jersey bars. Since that time he has focused on being a New York personal injury trial lawyer. He has obtained verdicts of $32,756,055.00, $30,300,000.00, $20,181,000.00, $14,000,000.00 and $8,000,000.00 among others. In addition to his landmark verdicts, in the last four years alone, personally Mr. O’Toole has settled in excess of $160,000,000.00 in personal injury cases. In the last 15 years, Mr. O’Toole has obtained 95 settlements and verdicts in excess of $1,000,000.
Four times in the last 8 years, Mr. O'Toole obtained jury verdicts which were among the top 10 largest personal injury jury verdicts in New York State. In April of 2013, Mr. O’Toole settled a record breaking case against the State of New York for $22,500,000.00 (this is the largest known personal injury settlement ever in New York). Mr. O’Toole’s settlements for the years 2013 and 2014 totaled $98,000,000.00. 2015 has proved to be no less successful. Year after year Mr. O’Toole obtains some of the largest settlements of construction accidents, automobile accidents and wrongful death cases in the State of New York. In 2013 and 2014, Mr. O’Toole and his colleagues at Block O’Toole & Murphy, LLP posted more top 25 settlements than any other firm in New York.
In July of 2012, Mr. O'Toole obtained a verdict in the NY Court of Claims in the amount of $20,181,000. This was the second largest personal injury verdict in the State of New York in 2012. This verdict included a pain and suffering award of $11,000,000 which is believed to be the largest pain and suffering award ever in the history of the Court of Claims.
Mr. O'Toole has handled construction accident cases, medical malpractice cases, negligent security cases, tractor trailer accidents, industrial accidents, bad faith cases against insurance companies and automobile accident cases. Mr. O'Toole's settlements include the following construction-related and automobile accident and premises liability resolutions:
- $22,500,000.00 settlement (icy road case)
- $20,181,000.00 verdict (see above)
- $15,000,000.00 settlement
- $12,000,000.00 settlement with lifetime payment in excess of $70,000,000.00
- $7,700,000.00 settlement (motorcyclist with serious leg injury)
- $6,400,000.00 settlement (union ironworker)
- $6,250,000.00 settlement (non-union carpenter)
- $6,000,000.00 settlement against NYCTA for injured bus passenger
- $5,900,000.00 settlement (union bricklayer)
- $5,000,000.00 settlement (wrongful death of tourist)
- $4,900,000.00 settlement (union electrician)
- $4,750,000.00 settlement (union excavator)
- $4,650,000.00 settlement (injured non-union laborer)
- $4,475,000.00 settlement (wrongful death with a payout of over $20,000,000 to two surviving children of a deceased non-union laborer)
- $4,250,000.00 settlement (union excavator)
- $4,000,000.00 settlement (auto accident involving hotel porter)
- $3,500,000.00 settlement (bus operator injured in motor vehicle accident)
- $3,500,000.00 settlement (union bricklayer)
- $3,100,000.00 settlement (non-union laborer)
- $3,000,000.00 settlement (non-union carpenter)
- $3,000,000.00 settlement (barber involved in auto accident)
- $3,000,000.00 settlement (laborer in trip and fall accident)
- $2,750,000.00 settlement (homemaker, trip and fall, knee injury)
In 2014, Mr. O'Toole began serving his third 3-year term on the Board of Directors of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association. In June of 2015, Mr. O'Toole was named First Vice President of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association. Mr. O'Toole is also the Co-Chairman of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association Labor Law Committee, the committee that fights to preserve and enact laws to promote worker safety at construction sites. He is committed to championing laws that protect workers.
In 2008 through 2014 Mr. O'Toole was elected as a "Super Lawyer" in New York State, recognizing him as one of the top 5% of New York personal injury lawyers. In 2009 through 2014, Mr. O'Toole was named by the American Trial Lawyers as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in the nation. In 2010, Mr. O'Toole was appointed to the New York County Democratic Judicial Screening Panel. He was also named to the Irish Legal 100, recognizing the top Irish American lawyers in the United States. Mr. O’Toole has also been selected by his peers to be included in New York’s Best Lawyers for 2014 and 2015.
In 2011, Mr. O’Toole was honored by the Brehon Law Society in New York as Lawyer of the Year and in 2012 was honored by the Institute of Jewish Humanities as Lawyer of the Year. In March of 2013, Mr. O’Toole was honored by the Brooklyn to Alaska Project (a group that sends young men from Brooklyn to Alaska every summer to experience the Alaskan wilderness) as Man of the Year.
In December 2013 and again in 2014, Mr. O’Toole was selected by the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys as a Top 10 Attorney in New York State.
Mr. O'Toole is heavily involved in charitable work, and has served a number of terms on his Parish School Advisory Board, as well as past Chairman of his parish's Capital Campaign Committee. Mr. O'Toole is also a major donor to the St. Jude Children's Hospital, The Frances Pope Memorial Foundation and Candlelighters of New York City. All of these charities focus on aiding the families of children with cancer, a cause close to Mr. O'Toole's heart.
In the past five years, along with his partners, Mr. O’Toole has been instrumental in raising in excess of $1,600,000.00 for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. Mr. O'Toole is a major donor for the Institute of Educational Achievement, a school for autistic children in New Jersey. Mr. O’Toole has also created endowments and scholarship funds at Catholic grammar schools, Bergen Catholic High School and Fordham Law School.
Mr. O’Toole and his partners have also funded the construction of a hospital room in Santo Domingo to help assure that the rural poor receive quality healthcare.
Areas of Practice
- Construction Accident Cases
- Medical Malpractice Cases
- Negligent Security Cases
- Tractor Trailer Accidents
- Industrial Accidents
- Bad Faith Cases against Insurance Companies
- Automobile Accident Cases
- New York
- New Jersey
- Fordham University School of Law, New York, New York - 1992