Daniel P. O'Toole
Daniel P. O'Toole is one of New York's premier construction accident and catastrophic injury trial attorneys. He graduated from the Fordham University School of Law in 1992 and is admitted to the New York and New Jersey bars. Since that time he has focused on being a New York personal injury trial lawyer. He has obtained verdicts of $32,756,055.00, $30,300,000.00, $20,181,000.00, $14,000,000.00 and $8,000,000.00 among others. In addition to his landmark verdicts, in the last five years alone, personally Mr. O’Toole has settled in excess of nearly $300,000,000.00 in personal injury cases. In the last 16 years, Mr. O’Toole has obtained over 100 settlements and verdicts in excess of $1,000,000 with 14 additional multimillion dollar resolutions in 2016 alone.
Four times in the last decade, Mr. O'Toole obtained jury verdicts which were among the top 10 largest personal injury jury verdicts in New York State. In April of 2013, Mr. O’Toole settled a record breaking case against the State of New York for $22,500,000.00 (this is the largest published personal injury settlement ever in New York). Year after year Mr. O’Toole obtains some of the largest settlements of construction accidents, automobile accidents and wrongful death cases in the State of New York. In 2013, 2014 and 2015, Mr. O’Toole and his colleagues at Block O’Toole & Murphy, LLP posted more top 25 settlements than any other firm in New York by a wide margin. In the past decade Mr. O'Toole has obtained a top 5 verdict for the State of New York on four occasions.
In July of 2012, Mr. O'Toole obtained a verdict in the NY Court of Claims in the amount of $20,181,000. This was the second largest personal injury verdict in the State of New York in 2012. This verdict included a pain and suffering award of $11,000,000 which is believed to be the largest pain and suffering award ever in the history of the Court of Claims.
Mr. O'Toole has handled construction accident cases, road design cases, medical malpractice cases, negligent security cases, tractor trailer accidents, industrial accidents, bad faith cases against insurance companies and automobile accident cases. Mr. O'Toole's settlements include the following results:
- $22,500,000.00 settlement (icy road case)
- $20,181,000.00 verdict (see above)
- $15,000,000.00 settlement
- $12,000,000.00 settlement with lifetime payment in excess of $70,000,000.00
- $7,700,000.00 settlement (motorcyclist with serious leg injury)
- $6,500,000.00 settlement (for injured union laborer)
- $6,400,000.00 settlement (union ironworker)
- $6,250,000.00 settlement (non-union carpenter)
- $6,000,000.00 settlement against NYCTA for injured bus passenger
- $6,000,000.00 settlement (for injured union waterproofer)
- $5,900,000.00 settlement (union bricklayer)
- $5,000,000.00 settlement (wrongful death of tourist)
- $4,925,000.00 settlement (all insurance coverage available tendered for brain injured motorist)
- $4,900,000.00 settlement (union electrician)
- $4,750,000.00 settlement (union excavator)
- $4,650,000.00 settlement (injured non-union laborer)
- $4,500,000.00 settlement (union carpenter with knee injury)
- $4,475,000.00 settlement (wrongful death with a payout of over $20,000,000 to two surviving children of a deceased non-union laborer)
- $4,250,000.00 settlement (union excavator)
- $4,000,000.00 settlement (auto accident involving hotel porter)
- $4,000,000.00 settlement (for injured non-union asbestos removal worker)
- $3,500,000.00 settlement (bus operator injured in motor vehicle accident)
- $3,500,000.00 settlement (union bricklayer)
- $3,400,000.00 settlement (union carpenter)
- $3,100,000.00 settlement (non-union laborer)
- $3,000,000.00 settlement (non-union carpenter)
- $3,000,000.00 settlement (barber involved in auto accident)
- $3,000,000.00 settlement (laborer in trip and fall accident)
- $2,900,000.00 settlement (for non-union laborer with back injury)
- $2,750,000.00 settlement (homemaker, trip and fall, knee injury)
- $2,750,000.00 settlement (non-union air condition repair worker with leg fracture)
- $2,500,000.00 settlement (motorist injured in car accident, back surgery)
- $2,400,000.00 settlement (pre-deposition settlement for 58 year old worker with neck injury)
In 2014, Mr. O'Toole began serving his third 3-year term on the Board of Directors of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association. In June of 2015, Mr. O'Toole was named First Vice President of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association. Mr. O'Toole is also the Co-Chairman of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association Labor Law Committee, the committee that fights to preserve and enact laws to promote worker safety at construction sites. He is committed to championing laws that protect workers.
In 2008 through 2015 Mr. O'Toole was elected as a "Super Lawyer" in New York State, recognizing him as one of the top 5% of New York personal injury lawyers. In 2009 through 2015, Mr. O'Toole was named by the American Trial Lawyers as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in the nation. In 2010, Mr. O'Toole was appointed to the New York County Democratic Judicial Screening Panel. He was also named from 2010 to 2016 to the Irish Legal 100, recognizing the top Irish American lawyers in the United States. Mr. O’Toole has also been selected by his peers to be included in New York’s Best Lawyers for 2014 and 2015.
In 2011, Mr. O’Toole was honored by the Brehon Law Society in New York as Lawyer of the Year and in 2012 was honored by the Institute of Jewish Humanities as Lawyer of the Year. In March of 2013, Mr. O’Toole was honored by the Brooklyn to Alaska Project (a group that sends young men from Brooklyn to Alaska every summer to experience the Alaskan wilderness) as Man of the Year.
In 2016, he received the Founder's Medal from his alma mater Bergen Catholic High School for his lifetime achievement and contributions to the school.
In December 2013 and again in 2014, Mr. O’Toole was selected by the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys as a Top 10 Attorney in New York State.
Mr. O'Toole is heavily involved in charitable work, and has served a number of terms on his Parish School Advisory Board, as well as past Chairman of his parish's Capital Campaign Committee. Mr. O'Toole is also a major donor to the St. Jude Children's Hospital, The Frances Pope Memorial Foundation and Candlelighters of New York City. All of these charities focus on aiding the families of children with cancer, a cause close to Mr. O'Toole's heart. Mr. O'Toole has endowed a scholarship at the Fordham University School of Law and has partially funded an endowment at Georgetown University, through the Georgetown Scholarship Program.
In the past decade, along with his partners, Mr. O’Toole has been instrumental in raising in excess of $3,000,000.00 for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. Mr. O'Toole is a major donor for the Institute of Educational Achievement, a school for autistic children in New Jersey. Mr. O’Toole has also created endowments and scholarship funds at Catholic grammar schools, and Bergen Catholic High School. Recently, Mr. O'Toole has also created endowments and scholarship funds at Catholic grammar schools, High Schools, Universities and Fordham Law School in excess of $3,000,000.00 to those institutions.
Finally, Mr. O’Toole and his partners have funded the construction of a hospital room in Santo Domingo to help assure that the rural poor receive quality healthcare.
Areas of Practice
- Construction Accident Cases
- Medical Malpractice Cases
- Negligent Security Cases
- Tractor Trailer Accidents
- Industrial Accidents
- Bad Faith Cases against Insurance Companies
- Automobile Accident Cases
- New York
- New Jersey
- Fordham University School of Law, New York, New York - 1992
- University of Scranton, Scranton, PA, 1989 B.A. and M.A.