Four people were injured when a Department of Correction (DOC) bus jumped the curb and smashed into scaffolding in downtown Brooklyn on July 1, 2021. The incident happened at around 5:10pm on Johnson Street, near Jay Street. The driver of the bus, who was also a correction officer, was reported to have lost control and crashed into the scaffolding.
Both prisoners on board and two correction officers were injured in the crash. The injured correction officers were sent to New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital while the prisoners were later sent to Brooklyn Hospital. We wish everyone a full and speedy recovery after this harrowing event.
It is unclear what caused the incident, and more investigation is needed to understand why such an accident happened. There are multiple causes of bus accidents, which include roadway defect, driver negligence, and failure to maintain vehicle, to name a few. Injured victims may be able to bring a lawsuit against those responsible for the crash.
Bus accident lawsuits are complex, and multiple parties may be held liable. If you have questions in regards to your legal rights after a bus collision, it is best to speak with a personal injury lawyer experienced in handling significant auto accident cases, particularly those involving buses. The New York City bus accident lawyers at Block O’Toole & Murphy are here to help. Our law firm is known for landmark verdicts and settlements, including a $110 million verdict for an injured cyclist and a $32 million verdict for a pedestrian hurt in a motor vehicle accident case.
Select results in bus accident lawsuits include:
- $6,000,000 recovery in a Brooklyn case for a bus passenger who was riding a public bus that collided with another vehicle at an intersection. As a result of the crash, our client suffered shoulder, knee, and spinal injuries, which required surgery.
- $3,500,000 settlement for a bus driver who sustained neck, shoulder, and back injuries after the bus he was driving was rear-ended by a New York City sanitation truck in Brooklyn. The matter was resolved by our attorneys, with the City of New York agreeing to pay $3.5 million for the client’s injuries and damages.
- $3,450,000 settlement for a pedestrian who was crossing the street when he was hit, knocked down, and dragged by a bus. He suffered multiple fractures and a severe crush injury to his right foot. In the aftermath of the accident, he suffered from limited range of motion.
- $3,000,000 settlement in a Brooklyn case for a driver who had the green light and was passing straight through an intersection when he collided with an MTA bus. He suffered serious injuries, including multiple fractures requiring 3 separate open reduction-internal fixation surgeries and a total hip replacement.
- $2,925,000 settlement for a driver who was t-boned by a school bus that ran a stop sign. As a result of the crash, he suffered serious injuries requiring multiple surgeries.