COVID-19 Notice: Block O'Toole & Murphy is fully operational in accordance with safety regulations provided by the CDC and local health officials.
Our attorneys continue to provide quality legal representation and are available to discuss your case over the phone, email, or video. Read more from our managing partners.
Block O'Toole & Murphy Block
& Murphy
Premier NY Personal Injury Lawyers

Pedestrian accidents require a detailed report by the police

When a vehicular accident occurs in New York City, those involved in the traumatic event often rely on the New York City Police Department to get them through the turmoil. The police often arrive first on the scene, take care of directing the removal and extrication of victims, where necessary, and generally act as the all-around directors of the action until it subsides. In a few pedestrian accidents and vehicular crashes, the police may become embroiled in a controversy that emerges post-accident.

For example, a 21-year-old Bronx woman is suing the city and two police officers who she says falsified an accident report regarding an incident in which she was struck by a hit-and-run vehicle. She had been crossing the street at W. Fordham Avenue when the car knocked her about 40 feet along the snow-covered road, says the complaint. In every accident where there is property damage and/or personal injury, the police must investigate what happened and file a report.

The report must be accurate because it may become vital to injured person/s seeking to make a civil claim for damages. The woman alleges that the police falsely reported that the driver stopped and reported the accident. That alleged whitewash of a New York City accident with serious injuries could have affected the woman's right to find the driver and make a claim for personal injury damages.

She also charges that the police did not list any witnesses on the report even though there were three of them. The lawsuit asks for multiple millions in damages. The woman alleges that she suffered seven fractures in her pelvis that could disable her permanently.

The NYPD has responded by saying that the driver feared for his own safety and that is why he drove away. If the city cannot prove that statement by credible evidence, it may be facing a large jury award. One important principle to protect is the required transparency of reporting in pedestrian accidents and vehicular accidents in general. Whether the allegations will hold up remains open to determination in the litigation process. 

Source:, "Woman to file $150M suit accusing NYPD of hit-and-run 'coverup'", Christina Carrega, Laura Dimon and Stephen Rex Brown, Feb. 26, 2017

Speak with a Qualified New York Injury Lawyer Today

Fill out our short online contact form for a FREE, immediate case review, or call us locally at 212-736-5300 today. The lawyers in our firm work on a contingency basis, so we do not collect any money unless we win your case.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Firm Awards and Honors

These are some of the publications and organizations that have recognized our firm and individual attorneys for excellence.

Learn More
Block O'Toole & Murphy - Listed in Best Lawyers - Linking Lawyers and Clients Worldwide Best Lawyers - Best Law Firms - U.S. News The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers Super Lawyers Million Dollar Advocates Forum Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum Irish Legal 100 Martindale-Hubbell - Peer Rated For Ethical Standards and Legal Ability New York Magazine - Top Verdicts & Settlements New York Law Journal - NAACP Frances Pope Memorial Foundation - Love. Support. Hope. St. John's University - School of Law St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Expertise - Best Workers Compensation Attorneys New York City 2020
Call Block O'Toole & Murphy Today For Help - 212-736-5300

What can we help you find?