New York City Auto Accident Attorneys Investigating the Cause of Your Accident
New York City car accidents have a variety of causes. Driver distractions, drunk driving and driver fatigue are among the most common causes of auto accidents in New York. According to car accident law, when an auto accident is caused by another's negligence or recklessness, the injured party may be eligible to recover compensation from the individual or entity responsible for their car accident.
Call a NYC Accident Lawyer
At Block O'Toole & Murphy, our New York auto accident attorneys have the resources to investigate the cause of your auto accident and establish liability in your case. If someone else's negligence led to your car accident injuries, you may be eligible to pursue compensation through an auto accident lawsuit. To learn more, call 212-736-5300 or contact us online.
Common Causes of Car Crashes
Although there are numerous causes of car crashes, our auto accident lawyers are commonly presented with car accident claims resulting from the following:
- Driver Impairment : A leading cause of car accidents in New York, driver impairment occurs when an individual's ability to operate a motor vehicle is compromised due to the use of alcohol, illegal drugs or prescription or over-the-counter medications. Intoxicated drivers can become drowsy, have difficulty concentrating and develop a slow reaction time, putting others on the road at risk for catastrophic car accident injuries.
- Reckless Driving : Unsafe or reckless driving behaviors, including speeding and rubbernecking, can increase a driver's chances of being involved in an auto accident. Other examples of reckless driving behaviors include tailgating, failure to yield, frequent lane changes and failure to pay attention to traffic signals or stop signs.
- Driver Distractions : As technology advances, the number of driver distractions subsequently increases. Cell phones, navigation systems and car televisions can cause drivers to take their eyes off the road, diverting attention from traffic signals, other motorists and pedestrians. Other driver distractions that can lead to motor vehicle accidents include eating, texting or putting on makeup, attempting to calm children in the backseat, conversing with passengers and reaching for an object inside the vehicle.
- Poorly Maintained Roads : Poorly designed or infrequently maintained roads can present various road hazards to New York motorists. Pot holes, uneven pavement, lack of signs, and shoulder drop offs can all increase a driver's chances of being involved in a crash. When a roadway does not meet the safety standards outlined by New York law, the liable party, often a county, city or local government, may be held accountable for any resulting injuries.
- Defective Products : In some instances, a car crash can be caused by a malfunctioning or defective product. Depending on the specifics of the case, the car manufacturer, distributor or retailer of the defective part can be held accountable for any resulting injuries. New York auto accident claims involving faulty automobile parts commonly stem from design or manufacturing defects in tires, brakes or steering mechanisms.
Call Our NYC Attorneys to Learn About Your Options After a Car Accident
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, an attorney can help determine whether the crash was caused by another's negligence or recklessness. If so, you may be eligible to recover monetary damages to cover medical bills, replace lost wages and compensate for pain and suffering. To find out whether you are eligible to file a lawsuit seeking compensation for your car accident injuries, contact our attorneys today for a FREE case review. Serving Manhattan, The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and all of New York City and New York State.