Michael J. Hurwitz
Michael J. Hurwitz recently joined the team and will be handling catastrophic construction accidents and serious personal injury cases on behalf of Block O'Toole & Murphy. He adds another young, aggressive and very experienced trial attorney to the talented roster at the firm. Mr. Hurwitz has been practicing law since 1998 exclusively representing injured victims. He has handled a wide range of cases including labor law and construction accidents, medical malpractice, wrongful death, premises liability and motor vehicle accidents. Mr. Hurwitz is well known for his dedication and commitment to his clients and their needs.
Highlighted Case Results:
- $11,000,000.00 Settlement for a brain damaged baby due to improper care immediately after birth.
- $6,600,000.00 Verdict for a student burned by an oxy-acetylene torch in the school's art studio.
- $4,400,000.00 Settlement for a truck driver who suffered an amputation of the foot after being run over by a forklift.
- $3,700,000.00 Settlement for a brain damaged baby due to an improper labor and delivery.
- $2,500,000.00 Settlement for a man who suffered from chronic and unrelenting headaches resulting from an improperly performed nasal surgery.
- $1,750,000.00 Settlement for a construction worker that suffered a calcaneus fracture when he was caused to fall from a ladder.
- $1,700,000.00 Settlement for a construction worker who suffered a tear to the meniscus in his knee necessitating surgeries when he was caused to dive out of the way of bricks that were being hoisted above him.
- $1,600,000.00 Settlement for a construction worker who injured his neck requiring surgery when he was struck by a drill rod that detached from a drilling rig.
- $1,500,000.00 Settlement for a 15-year-old girl where physicians failed to timely diagnose a brain tumor.
- $1,500,000.00 Settlement for a construction worker who sustained partial blindness in one eye when a pipe burst spraying cement into his face.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Labor Law and Construction Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
- Premises Liability
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- New York, 1999
- New Jersey, 1999
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 2005
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1999
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1999
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1999
- U.S. Supreme Court
- St. John's University School of Law, Jamaica, New York
- Juris Doctor - 1998
- Northeastern University
- B.S. - 1993
- Major: Criminal Justice
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- New York County Bar Association
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Highest Panel of the Legal Referral Service of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York , Panel Member
- Legal Referral Service of the Brooklyn Bar Association, Panel Member